1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Christmas Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Odinn, 29 Oct 2014.

1. Odinn

Odinn What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

Christmas is coming up and im asking santa for a Rig upgrade. I use my computer purely to play games at 1920x1080, I eventually want to get a 2560x1440 monitor.

Iv got about £500 and want to get the best out of my money, iv been looking at a new motherboard, Cpu and GPU but could do with some advice. for example can I go for mediocre Motherboard and cpu and go all out on the GPU? will that adversely effect my gaming? I am willing to do a bit of overclocking to get a bit more out of the components but am not an overclocking enthusiast!

My Current specs are in my signature, I have recently brought a 512Gb SSD which im about to install and use for my OS and games then use the 2x1TB HDD in Raid 1 as backup and picture storage etc.

I have preferred Intel and Nvidia in the past.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited: 29 Oct 2014
  2. Odinn

Odinn What's a Dremel?

Just an after thought, if I can get away with not upgrading my CPU and motherboard and just buying say a GTX 970 I would. Im just not sure if my current Mbo and CPU set up would cause a bottle neck in games performance though..

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Yup 970 sounds about right.

Also if ur board support it consider an x5650 off eBay. Dirt cheap will give u 6 cores and 12 threads and generally they clock well. There is another thread a little further down.