1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chrome overtakes Safari

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Bizarrely, I've just seen a honest to goodness, real-life poster hoarding for Chrome - obviously part of Google's "massive advertising campaign here in the UK".

Is it just me or does it seem kind of anachronistic to be advertising a browser with something as low-tech as a poster hoarding? :confused:

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I only change browsers if I'm not happy with my current one. FF meets all my needs, both in terms of design and user friendliness as well as extension support (NoScript and FireFTP are the ones I use most). IE has always been lacking so I've never used it.
    Unless Mozilla drop the ball with future versions of FF, I can't see myself using Chrome.
    Not at all. They're targeting non-tech savy people who use IE just because it comes with windows. These people aren't as up with digital media and advertising as the rest of us and will be more likely to see traditional adverts.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

double post

5. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Will still continue to use Opera...

6. hexx

hexx New Member

support of extensions is only on win, no mac, no linux. i use chrome as a second browser but for me FF is still the main browser. if they create extension like firebug then i'll use it as main browser, until then it's just a lightweight secondary browser, i'm on mac and to be honest i don't see any speed gains on chrome in comparison to safari, in the end it's webkit browser and most of the chrome is the same as safari. bring firebug to chrome on mac or to safari so i don't need to use FF for work, FF is much slower than safari and chrome but since i'm a web developer firebug is essential for my work because it allows you to edit on-the-fly (css, html, whatever)

7. crazyceo

crazyceo New Member

IE8 is fine by me. I don't appear to be experiencing the "lacking" aspects some experience and would never again install a google adware product on any system I own or work on.

8. hexx

hexx New Member

yes, this is also something i don't like about google, it installs background process without informing you, very nasty thing. even if you uninstall chrome this process stays there - not a good practice

9. licenced

licenced New Member

Chrome was a lot faster for me than FF and IE when I started using it so I'm still using it now and none of my machines have FF any more due to recent re-installs.

The only background process installed by Chrome is googleupdater which keeps you up to date. I just disable that myself anyway and check for new versions manually.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I used FF until IE7 came out, and then just stuck with that. I simply haven't found any problems with IE7 or IE8, so with them I will remain. Might not be the most common consensus around here, but there you go.

11. crazyceo

crazyceo New Member

I'm sorry but most of you wouldn't notice any differnce in speed unless you were monitoring it. I've used FF and Chrome on numerous machines in the house on 50meg BB and if I'm honest, the differences were tiny. I'd rather stick with IE8 so I don't have any unneccesary thirdparty software demanding updates and offering all kinds of additional addons that are just not needed. I visit roughly 10 sites a day at home and work and don't have any of the so called issues some report here. The only reason most have changed is because they heard someone say the others were better by miles and IE8 is a joke, which is simply not true. It can do everything in my daily life I need a browser for, so why bother using something else that the sheep keep saying I should.

12. hexx

hexx New Member

where chrome/safari excels is JavaScript, much faster on these browsers than on FF/IE. but still as a developer i need to work with all and mostly with IE as most of the users use IE. but personally i prefer safari and chrome, then FF - i don't touch IE unless i need to test my code (I'm on mac so IE runs only as a virtual XP machine in VMware)

13. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

at home, where my brother has a P4 era computer, i feel the difference in load time between FF and chrome; here on my own computer there is no real difference in load time, but (and this is kind of stupid) i like the google chrome logo more than i like the IE or FF logo sitting in my taskbar thing. it kinda looks like a pokéball (ah, the memories)

14. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

I used Chrome when it first came out then switched back to FF due to the lack of decent extension support (I would be lost without xmarks and adblocker). However since using the recent build of Chrome with support for *most* of my favourite extensions, I don't see myself using another browser any time soon . The main reason I prefer Chrome over FF is speed. Okay it may not be noticeably faster in terms of loading webpages, but in startup/shutdown and general responsiveness it feels much quicker than FF. Also there is a new extension in Chrome that allows you to open an IE tab with one click for those websites that have been coded with only IE in mind.

15. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

If chrome grows bigger than Firefox, it's due to its own merit, not just because 3.6 was delayed a quarter of a dozen months.

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am an FF man, and will always be an FF man.

But on my eee chrome is a must. You get so much more screen space, and it seems to load instantly. To get firefox with that much screen space I use a few addons, these just seem to slow down the start up even more.

If firefox came out with a netbook or lite version, then chrome would get dumped.

I wonder if the popularity of chrome is down to the fact I have installed about 10 different operating systems, each several times and installed chrome each time? Maybe I am single handedly boosting up the ratings :p

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Unfortunately, despise of being a really fast browser, Chrome have LOTS of issues. Anybody here uses it and Yahoo mail? Sometimes, when I send multiples messages in a row and click send, it simply doen't send or worst: deletes the message and show a previous one.

Another issue I have is regarding some foruns that when I enter a password it sends that wrongly, causing the server to not recognise it.

I am using it right now. But for mail I use IE. FF is really good if it wasn't so slow to load at first.

The sad truth is that there's no "perfect browser".

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

There's only one reason I haven't tried chrome: google is beginning to make me nervous. It's not so much the amount of data they have that bothers me, its their slow shift towards an "evil is just a point of view" and "if you don't want everybody to see what you're doing, you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway" attitudes.

Anybody know any decent opensource search engines / email providers?

19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

+1 tried chrome and never really got on with it.

20. wafflesomd

wafflesomd New Member

Chrome is considerably faster than FF for me.

Oh wait, it's you. Nevermind then.

Tags: Add Tags