1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Civilisation V

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PBear23, 21 Dec 2010.

1. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone else is playing this?

I'm a few hours in and totally hooked! It's amazing, didnt think I had the patience for strategy games but i love it!

Whom are you playing as and how are you getting on?

2. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

Bought it, played a couple of games, and started a few more games, and then stopped playing it when I came to the conclusion that it is much worse than Civ IV. It has some nice ideas, but the execution overall isn't amazing and it doesn't feel anywhere near as good as Civ IV.

3. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

I didnt play IV, you reckon thats better?

4. TCoZ

I do. Civ V was streamlined, and in a lot of areas, I think they've streamlined it too much and removed features I really liked - power blocs (from religion/otherwise), sliders, city-based happiness and so on.

I think the complete Civ IV pack is available on Steam for £3.75 right now, and you should definitely pick it up and try it.

EDIT: Yeah, here we go: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4323/

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

read the bit-tech review they really liked it

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I thought it was fantastic and I'm a big Civ fan to be honest mate.

They changed the entire dynamic of the game (damn...I just lost)and still maintained the basics of the game!

It's fantastic.

7. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Reviewer got it completely and utterly wrong.

Quite how REX\ICS, 4 Horsemen, Slingshots, Maritime Bonuses and the truly terrible combat AI made past play testing I have no idea. And how the BT review managed to miss these issues is equally mysterious.

Ill come back to C5 in a few months, when they have finished developing it.

Edit: You can read some more comprehensive reviews here

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I bought it...and that's it, I guess I need to play it. lolz

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I’ve never played any CIV games, but I do love RTS with a passion (Supcom2, Dawn of War 1 and World in Conflict in particular).

How do you think I’d get on with a turn based game? When I look at screenshots it just looks a bit….meh.

10. TCoZ

Turn based strategy is pretty different. It plays more like a complex board game - if you like things like Risk, then check out Civ, but otherwise it probably won't be your thing.

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Civ isnt RTS or even close too it

its turn based strategy so it has a much slower pace with emphasis on forward long term planning

personally i love the Civ games and i also love RTS so its all good to me.

depends if you like slow paced play

12. j.col

j.col Minimodder

i was playing civ v, as mentioned it has some good ideas but it is still too flawed, but will improve soon and when it does, i will then return to it.

i have returned to civ iv beyond the sword (bts) and it is much better imho.
    but if i remember correctly, when civ iv first came out, that had lots of issues as well.
    its the developers rushing to release a game, that is clearly not finished properly

13. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

civ newb here. i'm really enjoying it, though still wandering around in medieval times. bought the complete civ IV pack on steam.

14. Arcadiu

Arcadiu What's a Dremel?

As good as Age of Empires or better? Is it a Total War contender as I am heavily looking into buying Napoleon Total War.

15. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

I agree with Arcadiu, how does it stack up against the Total War series? I'm a *huge* fan of the Total War series (Buy Napolean, btw, Arcadiu) and I'd like to know how Civ 5 compares to Total War.

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Honestly, Civilisation games are very much in their own catagory. You cannot really compare them to anything else if I'm honest. Try and get hold of Civ3 or Civ4... While Civ5 changes alot, if you like 3/4 you'll like the overall games.

I personally think they're fantastic. Building a civilisation to what YOU want, not a linear baseline.

17. Orionche

Orionche Guest

CIV5 > CIV4. 4 had its good sides, but I never really liked it that much compared to 3 or 5. :) Get it, its worth it. It may have been streamlined and just slightly dumbed down, but it makes for a better experience.

18. ak_2020

ak_2020 Minimodder

The first thing I did, after playing Civ V for the first time - stick it back on the shelf and go back to Civ IV.

There were some interesting features in V - the hex squares, one unit per tile and new combat seemed a step forward. But for me, the rest of the game was a massive step back - it felt dumbed-down, or too 'consolified'. I'd take Civ IV with all the add-ons over Civ V every time!

19. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Got it, played it for 5 hrs, didn't like it. Fired Civ IV back up.

20. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I recently started playing Civ IV again (well, Fall from Heaven II to be precise) And i remembered just how much I loved some of the stuff they changed in 5.