1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Cleaning camera sensor

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by MrWillyWonka, 17 Jun 2008.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

My canon 400D needs a sensor clean, it was due about 2 months ago but I've been so busy I haven't really used the camera.

Anyhow I need it cleaned and need advice and techniques on how to do this, any advice appreciated.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I did it myself on my 300D, however now that I've bought a newer camera I would maybe have more doubts.
    Anyway, I successfully managed to clean the sensor or glass cover to be more precise by using a tiny drop of Lens cleaning solution on a cotton bud and wiping gently back and forth, then going over with a dry clean cotton bud again very gently.
    The trick is getting cotton buds that are tightly wound so you don't leave small threads behind, however Sensor Swabs and cleaning kits are available.
    The difference after cleaning was like night and day.

3. Vers

Vers ...

I wouldn't recommend touching the sensor. Get yourself a Giottos rocket blower instead...ever since I have had one I haven't had to use any liquid cleaning techniques.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I once had some crap on my 400D sensor. There's a cleaning mode you can get at through the menus that's basically mirror lock-up+shutter open until you turn off the camera - that's the best way to get at the sensor (if you're insane you could just fire off a 30s exposure, but don't).

Anyways when you've got the sensor exposed, a rocket blower is ideal; however, it may not be sufficient if you've got some really clingy dust (which is probably the case as the 400D has the auto-cleaning sensor). A cleansensor brush and the lightest touch possible is what I used and it did the trick - just one of those $8 jobbies with a glass swab on one side (slightly curved to work well on your front lens element; I think they're also slightly wet, so keep it just on your lenses) and a retractable brush on the other.

Also, any camera shop should be able to do it. If you're concerned or don't have the materials to do it yourself, I doubt they'll charge a fortune for it.

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I'm with Vers, maybe it's the full-frame plus more expensive camera-thing that means I use a blower and send it to a Canon Pro shop for a proper clean now-and-then.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Psh. Just Photoshop the dust out.

But seriously, I would agree with Vers in this case. I know some folks have cleaned their sensors just fine, but after spending a good amount of money on a camera, I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to touching the sensor.

We briefly looked at Dust Aid as a possible solution to cleaning the sensors for the cameras on the Space Station. In the end we decided against it, but there are some positive reviews about the system. In my experience it was easy to use. That specific product only works on loose dust. Liquid spots or welded dust would require the other system.

-monkey

7. Vers

Vers ...

Believe me, I own a 5D which happens to attract the greatest amount of dust over any other current sensor and have yet to fall back on liquid swabbing techniques to clean it. The Giottos rocket works like a charm every time. Get one, if it doesn't work and the issue persists bring it to a tech shop and have them do it to avoid an otherwise costly incident.

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I do believe you just knocked my preferred technique... :p

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Tbh, I just take mine to the dealer as needed. And use a blower in between. Yes, it costs and yes, it takes 3 or 4 days. But if they goof it up: A) they are liable to fix it and B) they have the parts to do it. If I do it and goof it, I have the horrible experience of having hurt one of my babies.

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Say what? You work at NASA?
    Not very usual to hear a sentence like that :D

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

:) Yep, he does.

12. Jumeira_Johnny

*cough* nikon*cough*kodak*cough*

13. Vers

Vers ...

Ever see this?
    Thats 8 Canon 200 f/1.8's...Pretty sure its not directly associated with NASA, but pretty damn cool nonetheless.

14. Jumeira_Johnny

That's balls.

15. Vers

Vers ...

Yep. The CCD's are produced by Andor of Belfast.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Mirror Lockup and Rocket Blower Cheesecake.

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

LOL. Yep, the Kodak 760 (Nikon F5 with a Kodak back) is/was the core camera until very recently. We just put up a few Nikon D2Xs bodies to replace the aging 760s.

The sad thing is that it takes so long to test and certify a given camera system, that when we finally decided on the D2Xs, Nikon announced that the body would be discontinued. :(

-monkey

18. Vers

Vers ...

So...*Cough* sony *Cough*

19. Jumeira_Johnny

Nikon has a keen interest in keeping NASA happy, I'm willing to be that they will make sure there are plenty of D2's available for the ISS. While production may have stopped, there is still stock. And I bet they are keen on getting the D3 certification process started.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I would guess there's still stock. Although, we've already bought a bunch of them, and to my knowledge there aren't any plans to buy any more; there's only so much money to go around, and nobody seems keen to keep funding imagery. I'm fairly certain the Shuttle program bought enough to last until its retirement.

I can't say whether or not the cert process for the D3 has begun. My guess would be no, as we tend to use one system for a number of years, then look at what's new when the time comes to upgrade. I imagine we'll pass the D3 over, and possibly even its successor, depending on how long the D2Xs lasts. If I'm honest, those kinds of decisions are made far above my pay grade, so don't quote me on that.

-monkey

Tags: