1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Cleaning Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

OK, so I did a search on here, but it turned up the most random topics I could see. Perhaps my search-fu is weak, so I figured I'd get a fresh take on things.

I've got a 28" Hanns.G monitor. Serves me well, and I paid pence (in comparison) for it, so it will do until it dies. However, there are finger prints/marks all over it, and I tried to clean them, to no avail. I didn't use any chemicals, but it seems I couldn't lift the marks.

Can anyone recommend a method to remove them that doesn't involve measuring specific amounts of whatever home products they can think of, or using a pre-made cleaner available to buy from somewhere? The marks are doing my head in as the sun shines from them. It's not that visible when gaming, but when doing work or watching a film, they come out heavily.

Thanks!

2. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Water and a microfibre cloth.

3. Phalanx

I did try that, but it seemed to literally just clean over it, dry and then it was still there.

4. Williz

Williz Minimodder

You need to dry it off with a microfibre as well as it will leave marks if you don't. I would say screen wipes as well but I can never mind ones that don't leave marks (Probably cause they aren't designed for my screens anti-glare layer)

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

6. Phalanx

Ah, you see perhaps I need to let the monitor cool down first, as the heat from it when it was on dries it quickly. I'll try it from a cold touch next time and give it a shot. Thanks.

I'll give this a go if I have trouble with the above method. Thanks!

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

What I usually do is a mixture of water and hand sanitizer. Just mix the two (more water than hand sanitizer, about 70-80% water) and use paper towels and dry with microfibre. :)

8. Jeevus

Jeevus Minimodder

I bought one very similar to the one Noiz mentioned from Asda. Works perfectly for me.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Don't use hand sanitizer, it contains alcohol which could degrade the plastic the monitor is made with.

I would use distilled water or a special screen cleaner with a lint-free/microfiber cloth

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I said hand sanitizer didn't I? :wallbash:

I meant anti-bacterial hand wash soap. That stuff mixed with mainly water works. Consider me an idiot for suggesting to destroy OP's screen. My proposed solution is about 80% water and 20% soap. Just make sure it's not very thick. Also clean when dry.

11. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

This, I have been using these for years, followed by a $2 car polishing cloth also purchased at Walmart. It's a lot more plush and larger than your typical microfiber.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nice-N-Clean-Electronic-Wipes-88pk/17474462

I use it on my monitors, laptops, keyboards, mice, my TV, my glasses, etc. They work for everything and don't harm a thing. Work really good at getting just about anything off.

Basically wipe and scrub down the whole screen. If it's really dirty, follow with another wipe and with your other hand wipe away with the microfiber.