Other CLOSED - Minecraft: YogCraft Server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Byron C, 9 Jul 2012.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Mind that fire ring, Rob - Andy Mc's house was burned down.

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Ah, that was Andy's house? I did leave a sign that I was sorry, and I could recompense any lost materials. I feel really bad about causing all this trouble to people now...

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I may have increased the map size a bit, I'm sorry for that, I thought an Ocean would be much nearer than it was. Feel free to load it up and cut out chunks that aren't being used at all if it's too large.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You 2 are a nightmare :p

5. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Gone again :(

6. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

The server is lagging out again. I think the problem may be caused by the masses of solar panels - you (BLC) could try removing the big field of them on a temporary copy, then putting that on the server to test it? If I had to loose the solar field it wouldn't be that big a deal - it was mainly just for the e-peen.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm going to take the server "offline" all day today while I try and sort out the lag issues. I need to install a few more detailed lag plugins - LagMeter doesn't really give that much info and could well be lying - to try and nail down exactly what is causing the problems: be it a runaway plugin, an overflow somewhere (although I think I've already checked all the crazy machines/EMC farms and ruled this out), some crazy machine, a performance issue on the actual hardware (or another server on the same node) or whether the server simply can't handle it.

I'll need the server running in order to do these tests, so you may be able to connect at certain points later this afternoon (In about 8 hours time when I get back from work). Be aware that anything you build at this time may be lost; I'm going to take a full backup before I start doing anything, and this may need to be restored during testing. I'll be staying away from MCEdit as much as possible this time; I don't want any more happy-fun-times because MCEdit has glitched and deleted EE items again...

Once I've put the server back "online" I'll post in here.

I'm not so sure that this would cause too much of an issue; well, it can cause issues but I don't think it's the source of our issues. Unused chunks are eventually unloaded from memory - assuming there's no teleport tethers in there - but when I checked the /lagmem command this morning it was at around 80% memory usage, despite not having any players connected for hours.

I did try that last night, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I edited out the whole field using WorldEdit, but the tick rate didn't increase (thank god for WorldEdit's //undo command :)). When the cables from the field were disconnected that didn't improve things either. It's still something on the list anyway.

If the solar field was/is causing problems then we'll probably have to abandon the massive nuclear reactor facility under spawn.

EDIT: Whoever tagged the thread with "easily broken" may not have been far from the truth! :)

8. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

It was very odd surfacing and finding only the furnace, crafting table and door standing. L0fty sorted us out and instead of wood it's now cobble stone. Just need to go get some sand so I can make some glass.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've only ever come across a server breaking this many times from nukes... Well done guys, you're as bad as nuclear weapons :p

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To be fair, it might not be anything we've built that's causing any issues - I don't know yet...

Remind me why I thought it would be a good idea to incur the stress and expense of running a Tekkit server...? :p

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its just its been fine for weeks and then they come back on and within 2 days its down again...

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

One of the US server nodes that my hosting company owns has recently been decomissioned, due to issues with capacity and performance. Pretty sure my node is in France, but that doesn't mean that the same thing isn't happening to me. Using the web control panel I can see a list of all the other servers on my node; that list has recently doubled in size...

Just don't want to rule anything out at this point.

13. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Oh dear... looks like they are overselling maybe? It's a shame when that happens.

14. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Your servers with OVH btw, it might even be a Kimsufi box

15. .//TuNdRa

I wouldn't say it's entirely me, It's mostly rob, I just sometimes provide him with the push he needs to go mad and break things.

So I'm just the assistant to madness. If that makes any sense?

I'm guilty of adding the "Easily Broken" tag, as is; I've already found and abused the crap out of an Item Duplication glitch, then generated enough power to flatten a small city with sheer UU-matter.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

so your the rocket delivering the warhead? :p

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Kimsufi rings a bell - you may well be right there. In any case the reseller is Get-Sourced; to be fair, they've been great so far when I've raised support tickets.

I just don't know wha tthe issue is yet...

18. .//TuNdRa

It might just be the number of people making changes. The more people their are; the quicker memory usage Skyrockets. Really we could do with an 8GB setup, and a 4GB Ramdisk, if you can fit the map into that.

19. .//TuNdRa

Not quite, I'm more the man helping build it, hoping it doesn't all go wrong. Rob's the one that launches it and nukes everything.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I blame Tundra...