1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffeelake Conjob PT2.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Jan 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Adored's latest video. JFC. So Intel are basically making a CPU that depending on where it is can behave and perform completely differently within a window of around 2ghz?

So you watch one of these "celebs" like Linus or Jay and then you decide that the 8700 is the CPU for you based on the reviews (bent) and the performance metrics (also bent). But you are not confident in building your own rig, but that's OK because OEMs have got you covered. Problem is, depending on how much welly the mobo decides to give the CPU you can actually end up around 2.8ghz, rather than the 4.8 they are capable of with the TDP limiter disabled. And those states vary from OEM to OEM. Wow. Talk about making a "one fits all" CPU. You could end up with 40% less performance than you saw in the "review" aka the glorified advert, brought to you by your host, Jay. Wow.

Before I get called a conspiracy theorist I should point out that this information comes from Intel itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And you've got Z390 coming later too. Sub-cycle incremental upgrade with another CPU lock-in!
    I wasn't before but now really looking forward to see what 12nm brings for Ryzen 2 in March tbh.

3. Vault-Tec

Yeah for a while there I figured Ryzen was good enough as it is but hey, 400mhz or so could make a huge difference. Gonna be another great year I reckon, Rich.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

where you get march from ;)

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Lovey “you’ve won a free gift” pop up on my phone from that site. Haha.

7. Vault-Tec

I just have this sneaking suspicion they are going to drop long before March arrives. I could be wrong, but I just got this gut feeling they are telling porky pies and are going to catch Intel with their pants down. In fact, if they used this recent Intel disaster they could capitalise even more.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I have the same feeling. I think mid-Feb will be something on the cards... which would be awesome. :D

Come on, AMD. Take my money! My motherboard is waiting! :D

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have to say i agree with Hilbert, AdoredTV defiantly comes across as a conspiracy theorist, particularly when it comes to Intel. He tends to throw loads of arguments into the mix and hopes his audience don't notice, or don't have the time, to call him out, it's classic Gish Gallop.

I only bothered with the first 3min of the video as true to form he started by attempting to construct a strawman so he could later dismantle it.

EDIT: Having watched a little more he's basically saying reviewers and Intel are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes because they tested a high end CPU, on high end motherboards, with high end cooling and because that allows the CPU turboboost feature to sustain higher clock on more cores that there's some form of cheating or trickery going on.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  10. Vault-Tec

I would watch it all before you comment. Especially as all of the facts come directly from Intel themselves.

Saves you looking foolish.

11. Vault-Tec

Jumped on laptop to reply properly. A conspiracy theorist pulls **** from his arse. Complete fallacies. Every single video Jim does is fully backed up with the most conclusive facts he has to hand. This time? you got burned, because all of the facts he talks about are all in the small print for the CPU. Penned by Intel themselves.

Intel *ARE* pulling the wool over people's eyes by selling a CPU they will only guarantee to run at 2.8ghz. So when you see it reviewed and toted as "The best gaming CPU ever and best gaming CPU money can buy" you are looking at a CPU running at 4.6ghz (but won't stay there because of the TDP) and is also boosting artificially using a feature exclusive to very high end boards. Which of course, all of the Youtube superstars all used when reviewing it !

That CPU can literally have a 2ghz defacit, depending upon where it resides. So if you watched/read a review of the 8700 you would indeed fall into the trap, only to end up with something that can be running far slower. Medion, HP Envy. Both of these run the CPU far slower. One runs it at 3.6ghz, IIRC, due to the crappy phases, and that means it is running 1ghz slower. Would you like to predict the performance? because I absolutely guarantee it will NOT be the same as in the 8700 reviews out there.

Jim may be many things. He may be a Scot with a hair up his ass, and he may go on and on a bit but everything he talks about is backed up by facts. It's not a therory if it is all factual. Theories contain "if" and "maybe" and "possibly".

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yearly cadence. Launch not available but at least we'll know benchmarks, though. It'll be staggered like this year's was and I've no idea how well 12nm is doing at GloFo.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Most on here would build the pc themselves and I can’t see any of us skimping on cooling or mobo.

Isn’t this the same as boost on gpus? AMD water cooled vega cause the boost would be higher. Then hoped everyone would not bother reading the air cooled version reviews.

Intel AMD and ARM apperently have bigger issues it seems

Corky42 likes this.
  15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It isn't Intel that is doing the dodgy part though, but rather the companies that stuff the Intel chips in shitty mainboards and slap a horrible cooler on it without disclosing the impact to their customers.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Burned? Are you in the playground or something.

If all the information is there as you and AdoredTV claims it's not a con job then is it, it's caveat emptor, seriously the guy is a well know conspiracy theorist, not because of the supposed "facts" he uses but because he thinks there's some sort of tech journalist cabal who are being paid off by Intel and Nvida and lying to the public and only he tells the "truth"

The other part is AdoredTV using "the most conclusive facts he has to hand" that he doesn't understand or uses selectively so he can pander to own, and his audiences, biases.

And I'm not the only one who thinks that, you only have to skim through this reddit thread to see what most people think of AdoredTV's sensationalist style of videos.

Again this is nothing more than a case of caveat emptor, if you buy an OEM system with poor cooling your hardware may not reach the boost clocks that many reviews got when testing an individual part, that's nothing new and it's been part of reviews and system builds for as long as i can remember.

Reviewers test using best case scenarios and the reasons they do so has been ruminated over thousands of times and general gets accepted as the most sensible way to test hardware, mainly because reviewers can't test for every possible "bad" scenario.

And that's exactly what he done here, he, and you, are basically saying "if" the motherboard you buy doesn't have good multicore enhancement (MCE) then it won't turbo boost to the same levels tech journalist got when testing, he, and you, are saying "maybe" if you don't have a decent heatsink you won't get the same results, he, and you, are saying "possibly" if you have a poor quality PSU that it won't be able to supply stable voltages and so your CPU won't perform the same.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2018
  17. MLyons

I'll tell you now for a fact this isn't a thing lol

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Anfield said the 2nd quote methinks.

Corky42 likes this.
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You've just not been invited yet, Gareth doesn't just wear a big hooded cloak to keep the chill off you know :p:

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Apologies, I'll go edit that, i was still half asleep when i replied.