1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colossus mk.2: Worklog, Reloaded.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by g0th, 17 Apr 2006.

1. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

You may remember the modding project i started last year - it's over in the archive section.

With the new revisied work logs forum layout, i decided it would be better to continue the mod updates in a new thread - and corresponding discussion thread.

DISCUSSION THREAD HERE:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1218928

So here's what we've got so far - the case with most of the electronics installed, along with the water cooling system.

[​IMG]

The liquid cooling components consist of a pair of Silverprop blocks, new Eheim 1250, custom heatercore rad, and a great little acrylic res generously provided by Defyant :thumb: .

[​IMG]

The glass is highly reflective, it reqires ninja camera skillz to avoid getting your reflection in the case, and it's still hard to get a nice photo :)

This pair of fans will be used to ensure serious air flow to the rad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A custom plate is made from 2mm Alu, and some small angle section is used to make brackets so the whole thing can be mounted in a drive bay, straight on top of the rad, using screw-free locking drive mount bracket things.

This is the custom designed fan control used for these AC fans.

[​IMG]

A blowhole and 80mm fan was added to the front fascia.

PVC pipe is used... but i had standard 90mm pipe, and an 80mm fan.

Here's how you make 90mm fit an 80mm hole :)

[​IMG]

This is followed by chopping a big hole in the front fascia, and applying glue, bog, spot putty etc. and lots of sanding, primer and spray putty.

I don't really have any pics of this, but you should know how it is done from other mods and guides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A scrap piece of 3mm perspex was used to fill in the upper drive bay area. The optical drive bay area at the bottom isn't perfectly square at the corners, i know, this still needs to be tweaked a little.

I haven't decided to paint over the whole perspex panel, or leave it frosted - possibly with an LCD behind it.

There's still a little bit of finishing and tweaking needed to get this to the stage where i'm 100% happy with it.

The 80mm fan fits inside the fasica, and is attached to it - there's perfect clearance to get it inside there and still attach the fascia. A purple LED 80mm fan is to be used - which looks sweet.

The OEM buttons are removed - they have a habit of wearing out and breaking, so this area is filled in with bog and set up to take a pair of standard pushbuttons and nice chrome LED bezels.

Ultimately, the front fascia will be sprayed the same metallic purple used for the other panels.

With the case internals, what i have planned at present is to wipe out most of the dust :), and add dust filters to the air inlet points to avoid excessive dust. I'll also paint the optical drive, and make a proper fibreglass radiator shroud, and make some cool perspex covers for the video card and motherboard.

An 80mm fan will be installed in the air intake area, and brushed aluminium knobs will be installed on the fan controller pots.

All the front panel electrical connections - LED's, buttons, pots and fan power - will be made via a patch cable with a D15 connector, which will plug in to a matching D15 connector on the front of the chassis, so the fascia can easily be removed.

What i haven't decided on yet, is what to do with the lighting.

The current microcontroller-controlled RGB LED array uses generic 1W Luxeon Star knock offs, and they're not producing as much light in the case as i might like, nor is it mixing as well as i might like.

I wish you could get purple Luxeon Stars...

I will probably add a purple and / or UV 30cm CCFL tube.

Thanks for looking, i'd love to hear your feedback.

Discussion Thread:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1218928

2. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

3. Geheimnis

Geheimnis What's a Dremel?

hello,

the beginning of mod is good

good luck for the continuation ;)

4. Beavy

Beavy What's a Dremel?

Looking great Goth, I love the removable fan 'tray'.

Did you etch the pcb for the fan controller yourself? Any specs in the fans? CFM/dB? I will be looking to use some AC fans on my next mod methinks...

You should get some UV action happening on the tubing, other than that I like the look of the case, really clean and well laid out!

BV