1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows COM Surrogate using all my RAM

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wicked_Sludge, 14 Jun 2012.

1. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

This seems to have just started today. i am trying to run a scan on one of my hard drives using windows check disk. i had it running in the background while browsing the net and after a few minutes i got a low memory warning from windows. i closed it and it popped back up a minute later. so i opened task manager and a process called "COM Surrogate" was using 6.5GB of my RAM. so i canceled my disk check and the process went away. start the scan again and COM Surrogate pops right back up and starts gobbling up RAM, taking just a minute or two to get to 6-7gigs (where i assume windows cuts it off).

what the heck is COM Surrogate and why is it acting up? google-fu tells me it may be part of superfetch and is generally used for loading thumbnails? that cant be right?

EDIT: also, its looking like if i perform the scan without "Automatically fix file system errors" checked, COM Surrogate only uses 150mb of RAM.