1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Comcast Router Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popotheflyingpanda, 5 Apr 2009.

1. popotheflyingpanda

popotheflyingpanda What IS a Dremel?

OK, so I'm getting frustrated with my router. :wallbash::wallbash:

Currently I am getting service through comcast and am using a router supplied by them.
    Just recently it has been freezing up every 2 hours or so, and it gets extremely annoying while trying to play games or surf to webs.
    The router is a Linksys model: WCG200-CC

I have poked around and found out that this router has had problems like this.

So when i decided to replace it I found out that the input from the wall is coaxial!

I looked for routers with this but no luck.

My question now is there a router with coaxial input other than this OR is there a converter from coaxial to ethernet so that i can use a normal router.

Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to provide more info:thumb:

2. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

it sounds like they gave you a modem/router combo or something of the sort. Youll need to go purchase a cable modem such as a motorola surfboard 5100 or 5101, stay away from the 5120. Once you have that youll need a router of your preferance. Id go with a good linksys or netgear myself, though perferably linksys.

****BEFORE you do this, give comcast a call and see if they allow you to use your own modem and what you need to do once you get it.****

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

If the modem was supplied by them, then call them for tech support. Chances are they will send you a new one.
    If you throw it out and replace it with your own, come the day you end your service, if they ask for it back and you dont have it, you may get charged for it.

I dont know if comcast does that but when I worked for Aliant on the east coast we would charge people $200 if they didn't return the modem we sent them.

4. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

oh, for the isp i work for, we sell modems, when customer signs up they can rent or buy, if rent they own it after 12 months, if they buy we warranty for 1 year and after that if it goes bad they have to purchase another.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

thats horrible. I'm with telus right now. Tech showed up at my place when I moved and gave me a new modem just because the old one was, well, old. It still worked but he gave me a new one anyway.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Usually you pay a monthly fee as part of your bill for a rented modem and/or router. Buying your own and sending back the one they provided you should not only fix your problems, but may also reduce your bill. And you'll be able to take your gear (and related settings) with you to new service providers or a new house, etc.

You will very likely need to call them and register the new MAC address of the new router and modem with them before it will work, but that's a pretty quick and painless process.

7. popotheflyingpanda

popotheflyingpanda What IS a Dremel?

ok thanks guys
    I'm looking now for one now