1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Commadore 1541 11/02/09 so close

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by peter_panzer, 29 Dec 2007.

1. peter_panzer

peter_panzer What's a Dremel?

Well I've been reading the forums 4 a while now done a few mods my self this being the last project i did 4 the wife
    [​IMG]

so now it time 2 do 1 4 1 of my boys i came across these at a second hand shop b4 xmas and the mind gota going
    [​IMG]

it a custum job done a long time ago, so it begains

[​IMG]
    stripping time also time 2 c what im up against.

[​IMG]
    will 1st prob 2 solve fix this 1 buy droping out the bottom cross members and ill also put the middle ones up si i have mounting 4 dvd drive.

and yes the system is an old 2.8 p4 running nvida 5600 its till i get another power supply so i can run the and 3600 with an 7800 gtx.

[​IMG]
    all knocked down and ready 2 go.

im looking at maybe keeping the old rear fan which was a real custom job don't know if i do i intend 2 cut the back out 4 better air flow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]:dremel:

well thats it 4 now gotta spend a bit of time with the kids lol oh any ideas would be sweet and suggestions

remember i am a noob be gentle

Last edited: 11 Feb 2009
  2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i would cut out that back end of the fanguard. it looks like it blocks so much airflow.(also, just replace the fan too)
    and having some sort of intake would be nice, maybe some 60mm fans (or if 80's would fit) acroos the top /middle

my mind has it for a dual computer set up, one on top, one on bottom, and the separate piece(5 1/2 floppy?) could be an external hdd.

also, feel free to sketch some idea's and scan them and post them

3. peter_panzer

yea im working on different things in sketch up now dual computer not a bad idea ill need 2 hunt down a pcie lifter cable 4 the main system need 2 find sum au suppliers.the other issue i c with 2 systems is power there realy is not much room.

thank 4 the input

4. 500mph

well, depending on the systems, if the secondary one isnt very high powered( Via C3) or something, a picoPSU could be at hand

5. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

the fan mount is a quart-sized container right? that case looks like it was built by a tank company. have fun with it all!

6. peter_panzer

yea shes pretty solid and yes the fan housing is a quart-sized container well put 2 gether housing

7. peter_panzer

Ok after a while finding my way around sketch up and toying with the idea of a twin system I've settled on this idea

[​IMG]

in the next mod ill be doing the twin system because the case will allow it .

always comments and ideas welcom

8. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

Everything coming out of the left side a size constraint fix or part of your plan? Also I see two fans in the back. Those going to be 80mm or bigger? Not bad sketchup either.

9. peter_panzer

twin 80mm i have 2 80mm in the fount intake under the case i 80 mm ducted 2 the other side on the 7800gtx
    i am limited 4 space im hunting around at the moment looking at water cooling but since this is a mod om a very small budget aka what i have lying around .

and yes everything is going 2 come out of the left since the board wont quite fit the other way:waah::waah:
    [​IMG]
    im doing a sketch up of the side panel at the moment an me thinks i will look ok if done wright
    hard drive will sit under dvd drive and the single 1541 drive will house 4 hard drives external

again thanks 4 the comments

Last edited: 20 Jan 2008
  10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like the idea. I have a all-in-one commodore 64 with a little tv in it, but it still runs. I can't mod a museum piece!:hehe:
    If the old fan is a 120V fan, keep it! Those monsters push a lot of air. You can almost hook a vacuum hose to it.

11. peter_panzer

yea im keeping it im looking at using it in my next mod,just waiting on my father 2 send me 1 of these ZC1 WII radio used by new zealand troops

[​IMG]

after alot of talk hes sending me the fount plate intacted with dials can wait :idea::idea::idea:

Oh and i finished the sketch up of the side panel so the plains r complete in the next week or so the fun begins:dremel::dremel::rock::rock::rock::rock:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jan 2008
  12. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Nice find. This should be a cool mod!

13. peter_panzer

Well im still going got my hands on sum fiber glass from a mate not the type i wanted but it should do ill have sum pics 2 morrow after i do sum trimming.

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The sketchup pic has a gap-toothed smiley face on it.:D

15. peter_panzer

lol yea i didn't pic that up b4 nice spotting .
    well no pic at the moment still sanding and filling at the moment.
    Went 2 take a few progress pic 2day but dam camera on the blink ill get another 1 soon cause like most i just dont like camers phone pics:D:D

16. peter_panzer

well finally got sum pics 4 u all so enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    still need 2 clean up this hole in the side panel and make it a little bigger.
    [​IMG]
    i have i prob here an that is the room at the end on the MB tray is 2 big and the 80mm fans don't fit so ill have 2 do sum choppy choppy .

just stated 2 do the dvd drive and sorting out HD bays which will be mounted 2 the other side panel.

17. 500mph

I think a vfd/led display would look great there.

18. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Great progress! Looking good.

Keep us posted. :)

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Coming along nicely. Good choice of a case.
    John

20. peter_panzer

sorry guys im still here been busy with roof repairs and work no time 4 modding looking at getting back into it this weekend will keep u posted

Tags: