1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory compatibility issues, need help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by rmagro, 28 Apr 2010.

1. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

hi, I am a complete novice when it comes to computers and am trying to build my own at the moment.

However I think I have fallen at the first hurdle. I installed everything into my case this afternoon and when I turn it on nothing comes on the screen, the fans spin etc but there is nothing onscreen.

I have an MSI 790fx-gd70 which has a little LED readout which says d3. It starts at FF then d1 and then finally stays on d3. With a little googling everyone seems to think it's to do with the memory, but I don't exactly know what.

I think it might be a compatibility issue but don't know. I don' want to change my RAM if I don't have to. I have a single stick of 4GB Kingston Valueram (and it is in the correct slot) To be precise the code is KVR1066D3D4R7S/4G

I have a phenom x2 550 processor.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

if it's your first build.. I'd take it out of the case to eliminate grounding issues and stick the board and everything on a table

next thing you want to make sure you have all the power connectors plugged in including the 8 pin.. now with just the video card and drive installed- see if you can get her to boot to the bios

from there you can put it all back into the case- make sure the standoff's are positioned correctly underneath.. hook everything back up and you should be fine

if you have problems on the table, you could narrow it down even further with extra parts.. but since you don't have those, have to rely on the codes http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS8_Checkpoint_and_Beep_Code_List_PUB.pdf

looks memory related.. but eliminate any grounding issues first

3. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

thanks for the speedy reply. I have taken everything out of the case and tried a few alternatives on my desk but everything leads to d3 with nothing on screen.

I guess it must be a RAM issue. looks like I will have to buy some more :(

If you have any other ideas please share.

Thanks

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Right before you buy any more, try 1 stick at a time, dont worry it'll still work, that way you can eliminate the dodgy stick of ram...it could be something as simple as the ram just not seated properly

5. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

He has only one stick, and its apparently in the right slot.

I would try other slots though, just in case.

My only other thought would be that a single 4 gig stick is quite big. Considering your phenom uses dual channel, you would be miles better off with two 2gig sticks anyway.

Question? Did you buy the single stick with the rest of the build? You may be able to return it, and 2 sticks might work out cheaper. :)

6. bulldogjeff

Oops I read that post but god knows why i missed the 1 stick,I think I just saw 4g and thought of it as a normal pair....having only 1 stick is going to make it hard to test for any ram probs...That mobo will take 4g sticks so that rules out that prob, I know that d3/4 are ram error codes so that has to be the 1'st thing to start checking

7. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

Thanks both of you for your replies. I did try the RAM in all slots just in case. But still had no luck.

So I decided it would be best to just send the RAM back and bought a pair of dual channel corsair RAM (2*2GB)

I will update tomorrow when I have tested the new RAM, hopefully everything will be OK.

Thanks

8. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

I got my new RAM today and it seems like everything is working perfectly, except one thing.

I installed Win 7 and I randomly get my computer freezing, resulting in a restart. Can anyone think of a reason what might be causing this.

Thanks for your help.

9. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Could be a number of things.
    The first thing I would do is update all the drivers for your main things like GPU, Sound, Network connection etc. (Although windows7 is quite good at getting some pretty up to date drivers any way, its still worth a shot.)

The other thing I would check is that things aren't overheating. Programs like speedfan or Everest are good for monitoring temperatures.

10. thehippoz

check your event viewer and it should have the error logged in there- post it back in here

11. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

hi again,

I have installed new drivers for my GPU, mouse, keyboard, everything I can think of. However it did not help. My temps are normal I think. CPU around 37

I looked at the event viewer but did not really understand what I was looking at, however I did not that the were alot of these errors.

Session "Microsoft-Windows-Setup" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

Does this mean windows did not install properly. Will I have to reinstall??

Thanks.

12. bulldogjeff

13. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

Thanks, but unfortunately that does not seem to work. I really don't know what is causing it. I have reinstalled win 7 a few times, changed the ram into different slots and tried it singularly. I am now wondering if is it my graphics card.

It is not a good one by anyones standards, it was from an old PC of mine. It is a Gainward 8600 GT. Would this be an issue using it as I have an AMD board and processor??? I used to run it in an intel machine.

Should I buy an ATI graphics card?? Or can anyone think of any other reasons.

Thanks

14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm not saying it isn't the GFX but I doubt if it's because it's Nvidia card on a AMD board.

15. bulldogjeff

1 way to rule out the GPU , take it out and see if you have any probs with the on board GPU on the board, if everything works fine then you've found the problem

16. thehippoz

try prime 95 stress test on blend

http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p64v2511.zip

this should eliminate a hardware issue and we can narrow it down from there.. that error you have in event viewer is from a hard reset- where the machine didn't have time to record anything- your rig just rebooted (sort of like you pressed the reset button)

so it's probably hardware related =[ if you can go in the bios and load fail safe defaults- save.. then try prime and see if it restarts- we can move on from there

17. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

i ran the prime 95 test for 18 hours overnight and everything was great. i then plugged in my mouse and tried to open the internet, and everything froze up. (i had to turn it off)

i dont understand what this means now?

i have also noticed that whenever i run the windows rating it freezes during any of the direct 3D 9 tests. does this point to a problem with my graphics card?

thanks

18. thehippoz

well least we cut the cpu and memory out of the picture.. does sound like the video card

try this first.. reset the cmos or in bios reset the configuration settings.. this should reset the irq's

if that doesn't work- run driver sweeper in safe mode http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

then restart and reinstall the latest graphic card driver.. it maybe a conflict between hardware- a cmos reset should sort that out (least on that board)