1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks completely weird network problem (windows xp + belkin related)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigal, 24 Apr 2006.

1. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

Hi,
    I have theis really weird problem with our network here that has got to to the point that is is testing my patience... (although it is probably me)

basically our system comprises of 3 (sometimes 4) computers, a router and a modem.

Labeling the computers 1 - 3 this is the scenario:

computer 1 can access, upload and modify computer 2's shared files.
    computer 2 cannot access computer 1 (or 2) at all (sees it though)
    computer 3 is same as computer 1 (hence neither computer 1 or 2 can access it - but see it and it can access computer 2 fine)

the only way to get a file from computer 1 onto computer 2, if you are at computer 2 is to remote desktop into it (which works fine) but that is boring, tedious and kicks whoever is on that pc off.

now the other problem that existis is that occasionally when the computers are rebooted or when one is on already, sometimes the router doesnt issue a computer with an ip address when it is booted up, wither this is because the onboard NIC is kept active 24/7 and it times out or something i dont know.

i tried settign static ip addresses on all 3 computers (router is 192.168.2.1 so i set 2.2 , 2.3 and 2.4 respectively on each of the 3 computers) (didnt know what should go in DNS or Gateway, so just put the routers ip in there). This killed the interent and network untill i had changed it back to auto on all the computers... so no go there.

any ideas or should i get a new router?
    cheers
    -Alex

2. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

BTW:
    all computers win xp pro SP2, modem is NTL with ethernet (plugged into WAN port)
    All computers run Zone alarm or sygate and AVG.
    No win xp firewalls or anything like that.

3. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Dunno but im got issue with sp2 ONLY talking to the modem (arragaunt m$ rubbish)

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

right firstly :: follow this guide on ALL your pcs

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/XP_Networking

the Gateway should indeed be your routers IP

for the DNS you will need to find out your DNS servers from your isp, usualy a google hit on "ISPNAME + DNS SERVERS" will find them fast enough for you, or you can use any free ones on the net (google for "DNS SERVERS")

make sure simple file sharing is OFF as well as the windows firewalls.

I hope this helps.

oh and AJ, SP2 isnt rubbish, the prob is in your configeration of the software et al, leave your issue here and ill try and sort ya out.

5. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

will do when i get back today
    thanks in advance!

6. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

You really don't need to do that. The DNS server in the internal lan is the router's ip. The router runs as a DNS server which takes care of the forwarding.

Bigal, when you try to access shares have you tried going to Start>Run and typing this into the box \\<Computername>\<share> (filling in the blanks of course) The standard browser for the network is slow and often doesn't work correctly.

When you say that the other computers can see the share but can't access it. What do you mean by that, are you getting some error or some sort?

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

depends how good the routers DNS server//cache is, and its better to use proper ones anyway.

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There are more things in the "guide" Buzzons so often throws around here that aren't really needed on normal desktop PC's...

But really Buzzons, you allways link to that page, at least clean it up a bit...

I usually turn simple filesharing ON for troubleshooting... Makes it much easier with the rights of the users... That you turn it on after troubleshooting, ok.

9. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

i think youyve got to set all the Ip to staic and configure the router aswell. i think acording to pro dont qpute me on that

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

as far as your firewalls go make sure they are not blocking the access to the local network.

Also for setting static ip's don't forget to set the DNS servers and Gateway as they would need to be set as well.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Surely it makes more sense to go off the router? If you have to change the dns server, it'd be a ballache to change it on each PC even if you only had a network of 3 computers. If you had all the PC's grabbing the dns via the router ip/gateway, you only have to change the one dns stored in the router.

bigal:
    Log into your router, switch DHCP off. Go to the properties of your network connection and assign the first PC an ip of 192.168.2.2, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, default gateway of 192.168.2.1 and primary dns as 192.168.2.1 (leave secondary blank). Then run the network setup wizard and Next, Next, ignore disconnected connections (if it comes up), select Other, click Next, select the first choice (the one that ends in the word hub), Next, choose a workgroup name (this has to be the same on each computer), Turn ON File & Printer sharing, click YES to agree, click Next, little anim plays, once done, just select the bottom option (Just create the network, don't create disk) and click Finish.

Repeat the above on each computer, making the second one's ip 192.168.2.3 etc. Turning the file and printer sharing should automatically share the 'My Shared Folder' on each PC, so check you can access it from each to each other. I'll note again that the workgroup name on each Has To Be The Same.

hth.

If something's still up, set one PC to auto-ip and auto-dns, go to a command prompt and type ipconfig and post here what subnet mask and gateway it gets assigned. If the ip address is weird (i.e. not in normal ip range of 192..) don't post it (it could be your public ip!)

Last edited: 25 Apr 2006
  12. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

or better yet you setup a dns/dhcp server on a computer that way you have a static mapping through the router but all of your clients get an address dynamically :D

13. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

right, kenco i followed your guide through above, logged into the router, turned off DHCP, set up static ips etc... did this on two of the pcs (the other iss off and out in the shed and has a serious sound card driver issue so i wont go near that for now).

anyway, PC1 and PC2 both are setup static ip 192.168.2.3 and 2.4 respectively, gateway and primary DNS 192.168.2.1 (no secondary DNS) and subnet 255.255.255.0.
    Without rebooting i could access PC2 from PC1 (as per normal) but couldent even see PC1 from PC2 (wouldent even logon to MSHome.) a re boot later and no internet, cant even see the routers setup page on either pc, so i set back to auto and reset the router (otherwise it didnt lease out ips lol) and everything was back to normal, i can access PC2 fine from me, it can not see me or MSHome.

i hate this sort of stuff.... really weird..

14. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

as i speak now, viewing the entire network on my pc here shows only my pc, the other is on, and throws up an error when hitting view entire network (cant find MSHome) but on my pc, the shortcuts to the shares on the other pc still work (WTF....) (going run-> \\office works ok though, just isnt listed under view entire network)

15. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

that could be netbios being a pain the arse. in the address bar of the window try typing in

\\<ip address>

if that works then the file sharing is working just netbios is being a pain.

you could also see if you routers need a firmware upgrade.

16. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

The point is if they follow that guide you at least know what ALL the settings are within your LAN and if it STILL does not work you can trouble shoot from there, if you just leave it to the user in question there maybe a box ticked on one box and not on another which is causing the problem.

and you say clean it up?? how exactly??

17. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Maybe create a web menu for it instead of just the current directory listing.

18. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

why? they can click the PDF if they want, or they can watch the flash file, if they cant work out how to do that, I doubt they ahve a network :p

Plus, it means actualy puttin some effort into web design :S

Tags: