1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards computer broken

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by HandMadeAndroid, 15 Jan 2009.

1. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Hi there,
    got up today and my computer wouldnt start. Basically when you press the power button the fans whirl up and then the machine stops. I went to the local computer store and was told it is the case button. So I've replaced the case, and find I still have the same fault. Does this therefore sound like a power supply or motherboard issue. Theres power going through the supply, as the LEDs still light up on the mainboard (asus p5k se, quad core intel)

thanks in advance:wallbash:

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

lol what a retarded computer store, button is obviously fine if it starts.

Clear the cmos and see if you can get it to boot after that.

3. HandMadeAndroid

no joy, still starts and stops as reported. I'll take the power supply with me to the store tommorow

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Probably a power supply issue, especially if it's a cheaper kind.

One thing that's nice to invest into is a PSU tester, they cost like $15. They come in handy if you plan on building more computers.

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

They probably thought the button was 'sticky' in that pushing it it turned the computer on but the button stuck and after 3-5 seconds hard powered off the machine. Still a school boy error though as they could have used a screwdriver on the mobo jumpers.

Seconding clearing the CMOS though. That usually does the trick when my PC doesn't like starting.

6. HandMadeAndroid

sui your picture is awesome lol one scoop or two?

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

It's the power supply if it turns on and then off again within 1.5 seconds. Replace/borrow that before trying anything else.

8. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Lol, two please!

:hehe:

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it could also very well be a terribly bad (ie: none) contact between the cpu and the heatsink and therefore the motherboard shuts itself off because it knows the cpu is not being cooled at all (whoever burned a cpu that way knows that it takes less time than expected.I know I do now)

if it was not the problem then, as said above, check with another PSU. If it still does the same thing then it's most likely the motherboard