1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer dieing during games, please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AndyGoldie, 10 Aug 2011.

1. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

Skip to bold part for TL;DR.

Right I've just came off the phone from the company I got my computer from, and I've found out even after them telling me to do a full system restore and tons of annoying crap that my warranty is only partially valid because they went into administration earlier this year. Meaning : I pay for delivery and return, and also components that need replaced, they just pay for it to be inspected..

So basically, my computer is mine now and their help isn't worth much, meaning I can now open it without voiding now already pointless warranty.

So, heres what's wrong : The computer completely freezes during games. Not all the time, infact sometimes quite rarely. In WoW it rarely ever does it. In Killing Floor, it's bound to happen in the first 30 minutes. The screen goes completely blank and sound loops, only way to get out of it is to turn the computer off by the power button.

What they advised me to do now : Check each RAM stick (2 x 2GB) and see if that's the issue.
    If not that, replace the GPU. He said sound looping is often not an issue of graphic card faults (I don't know if this is true or not, someone fill me in here. But I can see why this may be true)

So, i'm putting these here because 1) What is the best method to check if one of the sticks of RAM is messing up my games. 2) Is there anything else the lovely people here would advise I try testing. 3) I don't want to pay for another GPU so I want to test everything I have before I resort to that.

Computer specs are in sig. Cheers.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Install Argus Monitor and let me know what your CPU and GPU temps are after 30 mins of gaming.

Also what is your PSU?

The Ram suggestion might be worth a try too, try playing with just one stick inserted. If it still crashes, try the other.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Is your PC overheating? Mine did the other day because i forgot to put the GPU fan on auto speed. Screen went blank there was a horrible noise from speakers and then the PC turned itself off.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

What company was it because your warranty sounds non existent.

What psu does the system have?

5. AndyGoldie

Only info I have on it just now is 550W HEC Desktop Power Supply. will need to open case to actually see full name I'm guessing.

CPU is 33 and GPU is at 42 and thats after about an hour.

Mine never turns it's self off. I have to force it off.

Mesh Computers
    www.meshcomputers.com

They went into admin earlier this year and the company that bought them over said they will keep up warranties but what I was told today is that now they are only partial warranties. As in, they will pay for some bloke to look at your computer, that's it. There basically is no warranty now.

Also refer to question 1 for PSU question.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

an hour of gaming? those are more like idle temperatures.

7. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Those temps don't look like load, pretty low even for that hardware.

Take a stick of RAM out and run memtest, then repeat with the other stick.

8. AndyGoldie

ah thats why, was tabbed out too long. 37 on CPU now, 56 on GPU.

9. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Alright well still not overly hot.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

install power claw, this will show an overlay of temps during games.

I suspect the psu tbh.

However first id create a memtest bootable cd and see if that picks anything up.

I read your first post as having already done a full restore / install.