1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Computer illiterate or what?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 8 Oct 2014.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My first HDD was 40MB. Did you never learn the art of trimming out all the unnecessary crap from your DOS folder and Windows installation, to save valuable kilobytes? :D

I'm pretty sure I still have Doom on 3.5" floppies somewhere.

2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Have asked a friend to find pic of his 5 1/4 HDD

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I used to help out at a local primary school when I was in 6th form, showing the kids how to use the computer and playing through Granny's Garden, which was on 5.25" floppies.

It was supposed to get me extra credit for some NVQ, but I don't remember getting anything.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is. And we are the wizards.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I love it when it goes the other way. some of the pillocks in the call centers think they know it all and can be really condescending.

About 7 years ago I had all sorts of agro with my broad band running , to the point is was unusable.

My (ex) misses rang virgin 4 or 5 time and they supposedly sorted it out but done nothing.. Told her the usual crap, reset the router etc blah, blah.

Now in the mean time I had worked out the problem was some where between the house and the box up the road.

So I got on the phone said to them I've done all the usual crap, ran a speed test and getting an average of 0.1 meg.

He replies , before I can finish the sentence " Those speed tests are unreliable and totally useless, I know what I am talking about"

So I said "yes they are, thats why I ran it out of the command line and pinged off the BBC"

There was a short silence followed by... "erm, I need to speak to my manager"

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

"Asking the Manager" = asking the agent next to you a question.
    (same applies to putting the manager on the phone by the way)

Reason behind it is simple, the actual Manager doesn't have time as he is just as overworked and underpaid as the frontline agents, even worse, unlike them he hasn't dealt with an actual Customer problem for years and is therefore completely out of the loop as he is only concerned about the admin side of running the place.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not always, where I was the 'manager'/'supervisor' was one of the following [at random]:
    a: a dude in cork who gave precisely zero ****s and would do pretty much whatever to get you [and by extension the customer] off his case so he could go back to skiving...
    b: some arsey cow [usually] in athens who thought they knew everything, when in reality couldn't find their own arse with a map. and short of transferring the caller and hanging up before they could shout at you [or threatening to call back repeatedly until one of them deals with it] wouldn't do anything for anyone...
    c: bemused Germans who are wondering how/why they've been sent an English-speaking call, however they were the kings of telling arsey customers 'no'...
    d: scared Americans who refused to answer the phone because they couldn't cope with brits who didn't react well to their 'sunshine and happiness' approach
    e: if it was *really* early in the morning, some crazy-ass japanese guy who doesn't stop talking to breath and wants you off the line so he can go home...

'excuse me while i put you on hold' however typically meant 'excuse me while I google it/ask someone nearby', occasionally 'hold on, one of my colleagues is asking me a question'

Last edited: 9 Oct 2014