1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Computer keeps restarting / locking up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by oasked, 19 Jan 2014.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Hello, hoping for some of your expert wisdom on my computer please!

Over the last few months my computer (specs in my signature) has started to lock up / restart completely with no warning whatsoever - no BSOD, nothing. It happens when surfing the internet or in a game, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. Recently it seems to have got worse.

I've completely reinstalled windows and have run disk checks on all of my 3 hard drives. Strangely sometimes I can play a game for hours without having a problem (or run Prime 95). I've got the latest nVidia graphics drivers too.

I'm beginning to think that the Power supply might be at fault. What do you think? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it could be, psu might also be worth checking the motherboard for blown or leaking capacitors

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I had a SSD which did this to me. Also accompanied by long pauses in responsiveness.

Could also be memory, could also be motherboard. This is a hard one to track down normally.

My advice is rebuild the computer in the simplest way possible and add components one by one until it starts. Hopefully the barebones version of your system doesn't make it happen. If so, you'll need another CPU or Motherboard to rule those out.

4. oasked

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll have a look at the weekend to see if I can see anything obvious (blown capacitors etc). Failing that I might treat myself to a new PSU...

5. oasked

Well I've treated myself to a new Corsair CX600M PSU over the weekend and installed it last night. No sign of any restarts since *crosses fingers*.

No obvious blown capacitors or suchlike on the motherboard. I hope this fixes it as a new motherboard or CPU would be a lot more expensive than the PSU! :)