1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer locking up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by silk186, 21 Jul 2018.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I read that 86 is the newer version (still receives updates) but wasn't sure if it is suitable for the BIOS. I watched a video and it seems it is fine to test both sticks at the same time and to test individually if it errors to determine stick or port. Half hour for 3 passes? So I guess about 2 hours for 6 passes on both sticks? I will run it when I go to bed tonight.

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

To be fair my Hirens disc is an old version so go with the latest if you can, however it ran ok on a H370M with an i3-8100 so you should be fine. I'm old school and just stick with 1 module at a time, to be fair most of the time a bad module will error within the first minute :)

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm sure it would work fine for me, but you might want something newer for testing DDR4.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

@Pookie I didn't have time to run it longer. Next time I'm going to be away for the day I will try to run it from the night before until I get back. Sme suggest running up to 7 passes which would take 19 hours. I computer rarely sits unused for more than 7 hours as I work from home. Still, the memory doesn't seem to have any major problems.

New Doc 2018-08-11_1.jpg

5. Pookie

Based on that you can say the ram is fine.

silk186 likes this.
  6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Not just me then!

7. Pookie

Yep, the vengeance stuff doesn’t last long in my opinion. Had a few bad crucial kits too this year from new!

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Crucial / Kingston will just swap the memory out without any invoices or proof of purchase, saves you trying to dig stuff out if it's years old. Corsair aren't interested unless you're the original purchaser with original receipt.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2018
  9. silk186

silk186 Derp

That is some BS, in my memory corsair had very good CS before. It is unfortunate as corsair is most of what you find in the second hand market.

10. rexster

rexster Bad Advice

Did you ever find a solution? Did you try going into your games and set the games to default or reset game? I had a crashing problem a few years back that reminded me of your problem. To make a long story short. I did some of the same things (which are good solutions) and nothing worked and ended up with a lot of new hardware. My friend found out some games and online games remember crashes and other anomalies like a game setting. To get rid of them, just click the 'set to default' or 'reset', 'reset game' button in games. Steam games, as a courtesy to gamers, remembers game settings which is a good thing. If you needed to uninstall/reinstall a game for any reason or transfer or install a game to another computer, your game setting will be there. But sometimes it remembers a 'crash' and reprograms it back in the game. Then, when the right criteria is met, it crashes. Resetting or set to default removes them. Make sure you write down your game settings as they will be gone.
    Hope this helps.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

I replaced the MB/CPU/RAM and GPU. I will pick up an M.2 drive soon and make a fresh install after submitting my dissertation.
    Everything seems to be running better except for one game.

I've not heard about resetting setting before. I can give it a try.