1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer time :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jake^the^cake, 8 Feb 2003.

1. jake^the^cake

jake^the^cake What's a Dremel?

Sapphire Radeon 9700 Atlantis 128MB. AGP, ATI 9700, DVI, TV-Out, retail

Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz Boxed PC533. Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood-

Seagate Barracuda V 120GB IDE 7200RPM. ATA/100, 8MB cache ST3120024A

TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2. Minne 184-P

MSI 648 MAX Motherboard for S478/533mhz. SIS648, ATA/133, ATX, DDR, 8X, USB2.0

Enermax Strömförsörjning ATX 350W (P-4) Silent Series

LianLi pc 60

with shipping and tax and all that stuff it costs almost exactly £850 (£1400 for all the yanks)
    feel free to suggest something else as long as its not more expensive than 850...

2. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Pretty cool, but I would go with WD or Maxtor :D

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

2 things:

1. I'm guessing Strömförsörjning means "power supply". If I were you, I'd try to get an Antec TruePower if I could afford the extra cost.

2. SiS P4 chipset + Radeon 9s = Incompatibility. Go for Granite Bay (which will require you to get 2 256 DDR DIMMs instead of 1 512, but it's worth it)

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I second that!

5. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I agree with whypick 1, not just because of the incompatability. Don't try and save money on the motherboard before anything else. You'll only end up regretting it.

6. jake^the^cake

whypick, yeah, Strömförsörjning = psu
    and can someone point me to a nice and not to expensive granite bay motherboard at www.komplett.co.uk please, because i really dont know much about motherboards

7. olv

olv he's so bright

I think jake is going for the Seagate because they are good quality drives and as near to silent as you get... i saw his other thread.

8. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Maxtor have nice fluid bearing drives, nice and quiet.

9. 8-BALL

The Seagate drives are the quietest at the moment, followed closely by the IBM 180GXP. However, the seagates have lower performance than all its equivalent competitors.

10. olv

olv he's so bright

my seagate coming next week mmmmmmm silence will be mine

11. jake^the^cake

how much performance is it to have a seagate vs like a WD or maxtor?

and please give me a link to a nice not to expensive granite bay motherboard at komplett, cause thats the main issue at the moment

12. jake^the^cake

did i say please? :)

13. 8-BALL

Below are the only granite bay boards available from Komplett.se for your perusal. None of them are available as of yet, but shouldn't be too long.

ASUS P4G8X DELUXE
    MSI GNB MAX-FISR
    MSI GNB MAX-BFISR

If you can stretch to these, then I would, otherwise, get an intel I845PE based board. This was pretty much the top performer up until the granite bay and still beats it in some benchmarks.

If you decide to go this route, make sure you get 2 identical sticks of good PC3200 rated DDR, such as corsair XMS. I say this because Intel's future is very much dual channel DDR, and buying this now would set you up for your next board down the line.

Hope this helps.

8-ball

14. jake^the^cake

Thanks alot :)
    well, ive heard lots of stuff about intel lowering the price on like all p4 CPUs one time in febuary and one time in april, if they do that i might take the extra cash and buy one of those motherboards, cause everybody seems to recomend them :)

15. jake^the^cake

argh, i check both komplett and datorbutiken.com but could only find I845PE base cards with AGP 4x... is there any I845PE cards with agp 8x?

16. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

Granite Bay is the only current Intel chipset to support AGP 8x. Although in all the benchmarks I have seen it makes very little performance difference. The SIS chipsets have had 8x AGP for a while now but most people in here don't like SIS. I have always had AMD machines so I can't comment either way.....until I (maybe) get the new 655 shipset at the end of the month.....

17. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

They are quieter than the older Maxtor drives, but they are still quite noisey.

They are fast though, I wouldn't part with my Maxtor for anything short of a bigger faster Maxtor (or even better, two bigger faster Maxtors) :D

I would wait, but that comes from a person that waited for 3-4 months for my Soyo P4X400 Ultra ;) I personaly think that you have little to lose by waiting.

Just my $0.02!