1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V computer tv connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HandMadeAndroid, 8 May 2010.

1. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Hi there,

I used my old quad Intel to build a HTPC. It uses Win7 64bit ultimate, with a Samsung blu-ray drive. I installed a Radeon 4550 because it is silent and has an HDMI output. This has been sitting around for a few weeks and I've now purchased a Samsung LE40B550A TV set, which is full 1080p hidef.

My question is this:

When I connect the machine to the TV HDMI port (there are 4) my desktop does not fit the whole screen and has a black bar around it. I swapped the HDMI cable for a d-sub and the desktop fills the whole screen, and also does when I play movies. The quality of both DVD and blu-ray is fantastic. However, am I still getting hi-def when I play a blu-ray? Could someone explain hi-def to me? Is it simply to do with the number of pixels being displayed, or something else?

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

look in CCC for overscan settings, set to 0%

3. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

You actually have the same TV as me, albeit the larger 40in. (Beautful TV, eh? Had mine for a month or two now - love it)
    Trying to get my head around this too, though the situation is a little different for me.
    If I remember right, d-sub is analogue... so you are going to be limited on resolution and picture quality. Hit the info button on your remote and it should tell you the resolution coming in.
    HD video is indeed about the number of pixels being displayed, which allows for more detail.
    Are you connecting via HDMI to HDMI 3? Should say "(DVI)". If not, see how that goes. Also try labelling it as DVI PC from the source list. I seem to remember reading that the TV changes settings based on the predefined label you give it.
    Best of luck.

4. HandMadeAndroid

for HDMI or D-sub connection?

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Your system is exactly the same as my HTPC and TV, but mines running vista HP now, I never had any problems like you describe, it was as simple as connecting the the tv with a hdmi cable to the 4550, and setting the res in windows to 1920x1080.

What settings do you have your TV on for the picture? menu-> picture-> picture options-> size or screen mode. It might be set to a mode that doenst correctly display the PC output.

6. HandMadeAndroid

I've just had a fiddle with the overscan settings....thanks for that, my picture now fills the screen!...although windows start button is ever so slightly cut off. I prefer the picture quality (for windows environment) of the D-sub connection...so my original question...or part of it is still open :)

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

it's analoge, but still a good quality connection, so you are still essentialy getting your 720p/1080p without loss of picture quality.