1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Condensation Proofing Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tygrrwoods3, 12 Mar 2005.

1. tygrrwoods3

tygrrwoods3 New Member

I dunno if this has been talked about or not, but would spray-painting your MB be just as effective as using de-electric grease?

2. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 New Member

Bad idea, spray paint is conductive, plus it is damn near impossible to remove if you needed to. If your concerned about condensation, I would actually suggest seeing if you can find some liquid latex, then masking up the parts you wish to not have covered, and dip the board in the latex. Or, if you don't fancy having the whole board covered, then you could just set up a little corale around the parts you need insulated, and then pour the latex inside the corale. My 2¢ worth.

3. RaptorRed

RaptorRed New Member

i dont think latex is a good idea what is normally used is conformal coating its used for water proofing pcb's so should be perfect can be found in any good electronics shop, but all this does is stop water touching the board it doesnt stop condensation forming, for that you need neoprene or similar close celled foam which acts as a barrier to the air and therefour the moisture it contains.

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Agreed. After fitting, the entire area around the chip under the copper plate would need to be sealed using some type of expanding insulation. This won't prevent condensation entirely, but will protect the important areas from getting it.

5. metarinka

metarinka New Member

I put the vote for Conformal coating, which would make coat the board and in theory at least make it water prrof, but some type of foam is usually the best way to keep condensation from ever starting

6. mUrml

mUrml New Member

Sounds as a bad idea. Latex probably involves heating the latex, which might result in melting the soldering :duh:

But if you are looking to cover/conceal your motherboard. Why don't you just make a cover out of a sheet of wood/aluminum and paint that ? Might look just as cool :p

But good luck with the project, and get some pictures if/when you succeed :)

7. tygrrwoods3

tygrrwoods3 New Member

well this is where i got the idea.... http://www.overclockers.com/tips1029/ and uv spray paint isnt conductive

8. Blue Raven

Blue Raven New Member

When your trying to prevent condensation, the best way to go is to stop it from forming at all with insulation foam or something of that sort. The liquid latex might work but would be frustrating to put on and remove and has questionable insulating properties. Spraypaint does not insulate at all and at most might prevent some damage from the water forming on the motherboard. It is posible to spraypaint a motherboard, and in another thread, someone managed to do so with great looking results. But that will not prevent the condensation from occuring.

You should use some non conducting closed cell foam, like the kind used for insulating water pipes. Then mount that as close to the motherboard as posible so no water vapor can get inbetween them and condense. This will prevent a cool surface being exposed to the air so condensation has no place to form.

Edit:
    Almost forgot to mention the most important fact about the closed cell foam. If you ever change your mind about cooling your motherboard, or build a evaporator block that is a different size (assuming you are using phase change cooling), Then it would be reativly easy to remove the foam and cut out different shaped pieces. Imagine trying to chip away that that liquid latex or hardend expanding foam to do the same thing.

9. mobius9

mobius9 Member

There was a motherboard spraypainting project on here and it was concluded that most spraypaints are not conductive.... search for it if you don't believe me.

You may want to check this guide out over at metku's, using a product similar to that latex stuff, and you can find cans of this in home depot.... but I'm not sure they have the clear color there.

http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/supergrip/index_eng

also this
    guy seems to have the largest selection I've found on ebay if you would rather go that direction.

According to the manufacturer, it can be used for different types of electrical coating/protection. - http://www.plastidip.com/uselisting.pdf