1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Connect to two wireless networks simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mary Jo, 26 Aug 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

In my block of flats there are currently 2 wireless signals available. One from my own wireless router which is connected to the broadband in my flat and another, which I discovered yesterday, from an unknown source in the flat :) It is unsecured and so I have been able to connect to it and use it for internet access.

I have measured the speed of the connection - it is an NTL line and seems to be in the region of 250kbs/down 64kbs/up. I expect that it is probably NTLs lowest offering - the same package which I have in my flat.

I was wondering if there was some way that I could use both of the networks to give me 500kbs/down 128kbs/up. I'm using Windows XP Pro with all service packs and updates.

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

You might want to find out just who's connection that is and ask their permission first.

3. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

Illegal without permission.

Get chatting to your neughbour!!

4. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

Yeah, that's what someone else said. So, say I did get permission. Is it physically possible for my wireless network card to connect to two wireless networks at the same time?

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Possibly with two wireless cards. I know that there are businesses out there which combines one or more internet connections to form one. My friend's dad's company does that.

You may want to check out this thead on another forum, which is asking pretty much what you are asking.

And I suppose you aren't going to ask permission aren't you?

6. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

Yeah, I read that thread. Wasn't really sure what the conclusion of the thread was, though. Seemed to be a lot of disagreement over whether or not it was possible. Hrmmm.

Well, I intend to find out who's network it actually is. I mean I know 3 out of 5 of the neighbours. So might try and strike up a deal to pool our resources (like mentioned in that thread).

7. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

It should be possible, both networks would have to run on a different subnet, then get two wireless cards, and connect to the two networks. The problem comes in telling the computer which is your default route, but with a little tinkering, it could be done.

8. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

from what i no if its not encypted ur not hacking therefore access is allowed

9. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Haha..

No.

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Nope :) you're using someone's property without his permission...

It's like: He left the key's on his car so when I drive away in it it isn't stealing...

11. MrWillyWonka

Precisly

12. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

not saying that i dont beleive u but im gonna look into a bit more

13. MrWillyWonka

There was a case in America earlier this year or last year when two guys got fined or jailed because they went around in their car with their laptops trying to connect to unsecure wireless networks. Which inidcates connection to a wireless network without permission is not allowed.

14. onemillion21

onemillion21 What's a Dremel?

?What is right and what is warong is that you breathe my air therefor eye have every rite to take what i see fit to not hurt anyone in the process as long as everyone promises to never die live my life according to the mistakes and greats presented and purposed. i can say that there exists an electrical conversion of metaphysical energy potentiated by subconscious reaction creating invisible waves that can only be manipulated and controlled by an equal or opposite force like for instance the interjection, mathmatically, the concept of negative Zero (-0), physically it is a straight line that goes on forever, eventually connecting with itself...
    sure the law says when unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, reproduction of coyrighted material in different forms - except the one i just described where someone technically could alter anothers perception from the waves that compose the engineering of our chemistry imposing a strategy for success, i.e. a perfect system destined not to fail by any means.
    computers are about to reach the point of never before dreamed power of self suffiency. imagine no errors, becuase it knows the answer before it realizes the question. when our D.N.A is finally fully genomed, life can be mastered!
    I don't know the least about programming a pc, but i figure a wireless network card operates much like any other device designed to transmit data. there is a fixed amount of bandwidth, for instance 802.11g should be able to send and recieve 56megs a sec one way or both i dunno. i am pretty sure it does not use every available frequency at once so there must be room for more than one communication.

15. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

1. Work on spelling and grammer and overall typing
    2. You don't own air
    3. I see no point at what this is going at
    4. This does not help the thread
    5. You brought up almost year old thread and didn't even help solve the problem.

EDIT: Not to mention that is the longest 8 sentences I've ever seen.

16. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

well did you ever get the 2 wireless networks to work??

17. Adam-Mck

Adam-Mck What's a Dremel?

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

You actually bothered to read all that crap?? Quiet day, eh?

19. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I began reading it, and thought all of it was utterly wrong and then just had enough hope in it that it would work its way correct by the end. I was wrong.

20. MCR

MCR What's a Dremel?

Car theft laws

In Florida, at least where I'm from, if you have the keys to the car it's just a misdemeanor referred to as unlawful use, not the more serious felony charge of (GTA) Grand Auto Theft. I would venture to say other laws like the wireless use are different from place to place too.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.