1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Connecting 2 floors w/o wires

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -=ice=-, 30 Jan 2005.

1. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I'm trying to add net access to my computer upstairs, it wouldn't be easy to do it by cable, so I'm trying to figure out what i need to do wirelessly.

Question is, I'm not entirely sure what hardware i need, i want it to be an invisible line, eg. wont show up as wireless,

however, since i have a laptop (currently no airport) it may be nice to have access from that too, without the cat5

map:
    [​IMG]

2. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Buy any wireless router or a wireless Access Point then for the upstairs where you have the switch ethier use a wireless bridge to the switch or wireless NICs in the PCs

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

and if I'm understanding you right, there should be a setting in the wireless router/AP to hide the signal although I believe windows XP SP2 tends to have some issues if you do that since it had the new wireless thing

So you'll need a wireless router to replace your current router
    AND A wireless bridge to go into the switch w/ two comps on it (those comps will still need to be wired to the switch)
    OR a wireless card for the PCs that you want to be wireless (comps can go anywhere within range of the wireless signal and an electrical outlet)

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

ap (access point) for downstairs then a bridge for up stairs...then the upstairs wont have wireless though..if you want wifi upstairs go with a set of aps that have "bridge mode", pretty sure the dlink do but dont quote me on that...

Either way:

Downstairs: ap plugs into free switch port

Upstairs: connect bridge/ap to switch configure to connect to ap downstairs...

Tags: