1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Connecting PSU to GTX460.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zabuza, 13 Jun 2011.

1. Zabuza

Zabuza New Member

Hi all,

This is probably a stupid question.

I recently bought a GTX460 graphics card and it requires two 6 pin PCI Express connectors. The picture shows that the top middle of both connectors is left blank, this is the same for the connectors that came with the card. My question is would the connectors on my PSU which don't have the blank space in the top middle still be alright?

PSU: 600W Be Quiet Straight Power E7, 80+
    Motherboard: MSI AMD 790FX-GD70

Thanks.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have no clue what you're trying to convey old boy!

The GTX 460 needs all 6 of the 6-pin PCI-Express connections to work.

3. trig

trig god's little mistake

yep, you will be fine. don't worry about the connectors. the card doesn't need the power those connectors would provide.

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

in each of the 6 pin connectors, one of the holes is empty, nothing for a connection to be made with from the psu connection. so basically 5 of the 6 pins are there...

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

No problem at all. Some cards with 6-pin PCI-E connectors don't require all the amperage that the connector can provide, so sometimes not all 6 pins are connected internally.

6. Zabuza

Zabuza New Member

Yep, that's it trig.

Thanks for the advice all.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

You don't actually need all 6-pins connected at all... the 6-pin PCI-E connector has a 6-pin form factor, but originally there were only 5 connections: two +12v pins and three ground pins; the middle pin was always empty, as it is if you use a molex to PCI-E adapter.

The reason there isn't a third +12v pin on the connector in the diagram is simply because some graphics cards don't require it, the GTX460 being one.

Nowadays some graphics cards require much more power, which is why there is a third +12v pin (and never more than three, even on an 8-pin connector).