1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Consumer level backup solutions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Splynncryth, 4 Jan 2009.

1. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I'm looking into building a dedicated back up system because as far as I know, there are no consumer level backup solutions.
    Am I wrong? Are there tape backups that don't cost a fortune and handle terabytes of data? What I am seeing are $1000+ USD drives for 400gb which is what I'd consider the starting point of useful capacity.

It looks like I could get a bunch of hard dives and be able to have a set of drives I can rotate through as if they were takes for less money than a drive and a couple sets of cartridges.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Tapes are not and have never been consumer-oriented, though of course there's nothing stopping you from using them. I think the best solutions to use, unless you're dealing with tens of terabytes or more of data, are probably much simpler - use Time Machine (or some equivalent for your OS of choice) pointed at a NAS drive, Drobo, RAID system, or whatever you prefer. Or, indeed, an external enclosure for a single drive and weekly snapshots that you rotate.

Even something like Amazon S3 + JungleDisk is a decent choice if you have decent bandwidth.

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

We have an old PC that we slapped Ubuntu on and added a 320GB drive for a total of 400GB and about £50 tops. Shove it in a cupboard and set up a VNC server on it, then use cwRsync (assuming you're on Windows) and point it at the server. :)
    Also: Build your own Linux server
    cwRsync allows excellent syncing if you can understand it (I can't, my Dad did the programming for me to use it ;)) or DropBox allows syncing over the web I believe, so as long as your server is connected to an always on router or similar that should be ok :)