1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Cool LCD, but I don't have datasheet...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by don johnson, 31 Jan 2004.

1. don johnson

don johnson What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Lookie what I got! I've searched throughout the web and that lcd is worth 300 bux - I bought it for 25 bux at a local Electronic shop (surplus apparently, they've got 50 in stock). Only problem is I can't seem to find a datasheet for it. I don't even know what controller it has if any. It's a hitachi SP14Q001 320x240 (?).

Does anybody have any information on this LCD? What software can run it? Or can it be interfaced to a parallel interface?

2. the_shark

the_shark What's a Dremel?

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

no controller!

fun!

whack out the PIC18xxxx and about 64k o SRAM n have at it.

4. don johnson

Thanx for the link the_shark!!

Awww.. no built-in controlller? That sucks, I wanted to interface this to paralllel... When I was searching for the datasheet I stumbled across this site: http://hitachi-displays-eu.com/frames_products.html they didn't have datasheet for my lcd but they have datasheet for other models of SP14Qxxx - all models have the same pinouts and I found out that other models of this lcd has built-in T6963 controller! So, is it safe to say that if I can get a hold of a t6963c controller I can hook this thing up?

5. computer

computer What's a Dremel?

:eek: that is a suberb looking lcd.. pity about the controller tho...

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

7. Poppa_joe

Poppa_joe What's a Dremel?

Man that is a sweet LCD. Does the shop that you got it from have any more? I am really interested in somthing like that. If the shop does not have any more is there any chance that you might want to sell it? I am studying electical engneering and I want an LCD like that for a project that I am working on. Does it have a back light?

8. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

i assume that the [​IMG] pic is not yours! if it is - what is that in the b/g?

9. don johnson

They have 20 more. THe picture isn't mine, it's not my hand but it's exactly like my lcd.. The LCD has CCFL backlight and the electronic store i bought it from happened to have the inverter for it sold for 6 bux - so total around 31 bux. The site I got the pic from sells the exact same lcd for 255 british pounds!!! That's over 400 bux!! http://www.avolitesdownload.com/acatalog/spare_parts.html

10. don johnson

My bad. I looked again and it doesn't look like it can be controlled via T6963c controller. However, it looks vaguely similar to a SED1330 compatible pinout:

Pinout:
    1 > D0
    2 > D1
    3 > D2
    4 > D3
    5 > Disp-Off (Reset?)
    6 > Frame
    7 > N.C (No Connection?)
    8 > LOAD
    9 > CP
    10 > VDD (Power Supply +5V I think)
    11 > VSS (Ground)
    12 > VEE (Contrast?)
    13 > V0
    14 > VSS (Ground)

I'm bidding on a sed1335 controller right now.

I dont' know anything about PICs but I'm willing to give that a go if nothing else pops up - sounds really interesting. I've ordered samples of PIC16xxx, can I use this? Does anybody have a link to a guide or tutorial on interfacing something like my lcd to a pic (Besides Hazer's guide)? I've done some search and it looks like PIC16xxx is programmed with assembly (it's been decades since my last assembly class) - I'm more familiar with C/C++ so I'll probably have to go with PIC18xxx - what do I need to get this started??

11. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

Definately a controllerless LCD...
    You need something like this, a SED1335 LCD contoller.

CD :)

12. don johnson

13. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

14. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

you could probably do it on a 16xxxx seires PIC, but 18's can work at twice the speed, you will need a lot of IO pins as you will have to make an address + data bus for the memory, and an interface for the lpt port to control your controller, its not that difficult to make your own LCD controller, but you will need aditional RAM if your using a PIC, (heck even if you used an Atmel AVR).

Check www.piclist.com i think i saw somthing similar to this on there a while ago.

15. DanielA

DanielA What's a Dremel?

That looks to me like an Avolites Pearl, or other such lighting console.

16. don johnson

I emailed the Hitachi sales department looking for a controller for this lcd. Here's the response I got:

Dear Adonis,

The SP14Q001 was discontinued a few years ago. We do not have the spec for that particular panel, but here are two specs which may be able to help you with what you need. As for your question about a controller, the panel has a timing controller on board, but the display controller is external to our panel. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jake Spengler
    East Coast Sales Manager
    Hitachi Electronic Devices (USA), Inc.

------------------
    The attached documents were specs for the SP14q002 and 3 models. Very identical to the SP14q001 same pinouts as a matter of fact. What's a timing controller? I asked if the sed1335 controller was capable of running this lcd but he didn't answer.

17. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

Like I said in my previous post (or as you can find on the internet), there are several places where you can find a SED1335 (a T6963c controller board is difficult to find)) prebuilt controller board for your LCD if you not cannot make your own.

CD :)

18. don johnson

What about using rs232 interface? Is it difficult to make my own rs232 device based on the max232 chip?

for that matter, can this get me started? http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=37956&cat=7&

Last edited: 3 Feb 2004
  19. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

rs232 is possible, but i would recomend making a parrallel interface first, to get the hang of it.

You would have to do this in ASM, so don't be scared.