1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Coolermaster 83# Easy & practicle worth while dust filter mod.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Zero_UK, 13 Jan 2010.

1. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Hey, if you've bought a Stacker 83# from Coolermaster then you'll have noticed the included dust filtered brackets that can fit an addition four 120mm fans to cool down your hardware from the side panel.

[​IMG]

However, I've noticed with most Stacker builds that users tend to remove this - mainly due to lack of space from GPU's and CPU air coolers (despite the Stackers immense size). But, whats great about the quad bracket is that each dust filtered bracket is removable from the transparent template. So instead of leaving four free 120mm dust filters laying around in a box, I'll quickly show what you can do with them.

First use

[​IMG] - A ordinary stacker.
    [​IMG] ooo, well, nothing too exciting but does look very nice for starters, and unlike a stock stacker with only one unfiltered intake fan onto the hard drives, you instead have two filtered.

Okay, what you have to do first of all is remove the 120mm fan that is included on your hard drive bay as well as the fan grill - Or else I really doubt they'll be enough room there and they wont be needed anyways. From there on it's more already explained - simply remove all the drive pay covers, put the 120mm fan in the right way so it's intaking cool air.

As it's a fairly tight fit, I found that it was just easier to work from bottom to top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] When fitting the filter, look for the side that has these two clips

[​IMG] Put the filter into the case like you would with a drive bay cover - at a angle. Make it easier on yourself by putting the side that has no clips on first . Then simply press down on the clips when pushing in the filter to slot the fan and dust filter in place (they just conveniently fit into the drive bay holes - I personally had to position the clips on the left hand side for the bottom filter and the clips on the right of the top filter - odd).

Then every so often you can just get a hoover on the dust filters and if you ever want to remove the fans just press in the clips through the drive bay cover holes and it easily pops out.

Second Use

The second use of the dust filters quite simply works fantastic for adding two intake fans at the bottom of the stacker. If like me your stacker is placed on a carpet flooring then, adding intake fans would just suck up every last bit of dust into your PC. Of course the obvious suggestion would just to be putting the fans in the bottom of the case - but it's not exactly secure. So I went out and bought a 1m strip of sticky velcro from eBay for £2.

The results? awesome.

[​IMG]

As you can see on the photo I just measured up and stuck two strips of velcro parallel on the longest sides of the dust filter. Then measure out some of the opposite side velcro to stick down onto the stacker as shown in the picture. - I used the fluffy velcro on the dust filter and the rough spiky velcro on the the stacker.

[​IMG]

The bottom two dust filters will need cleaning/hoover every two weeks or so as in taking so close to the carpet will attract a good bit of dust.

____

Anyways as you've seen it's a very basic mod, but it's very cheap to do and adds some nice filtered air flow into the stacker which could make that bit of difference when aiming for low temp's on a OC'd pc or to keep your computer dust free. I've seen on reviews people put down the stacker for not having dust filters - well this is incorrect. Hope some Stacker users may find this useful, it's very basic and I'm not saying it's anything spectacular but I have yet to see another person use this when it's so achievable by people who aren't confident with modding.