1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooling a CPU and GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morphine, 30 Apr 2002.

1. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

I have a question. I need to water cool a pc in a space about twice the size of a laptop. I am building a comp into a PS2 case. Now, I have seen setups where the water goes from CPU to GPU. is this good? Isnt the water thatll be going on my poor little GeForce 4 gonna be hot? How do I keep both of these cool and stable while using a small radiator? should i use a resevoir to give the water a little extra time? Any products recomended? I'm in the USA. I'm also a water cooling newbie :cooldude:

2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Morphine...its a race between you and me bro..I'm doing the same exact thing :D Wanna exchange notes? Email me...

3. Lord_Vheox

Lord_Vheox What's a Dremel?

you dont have much of a choice... unless u wana get a second radiator... position you radiator so that it will get a very good airflow (e.g. outside the case, or behind a blowhole) and i think it'll be fine. you can always put a heatsink on the GPU and cool it with your watercooling system... never seen it done b4 but i guess it would work, no?

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

well u can use a y-split from and go to the cpu and gpu at the same time then y-split it back after it goes through the cpu/gpu....

5. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

i seee... so right from pump split it off so that one hose goes to CPU and other goes to GPU then converge them on the radiator. Should I use a pump with 1/2" fittings then split down to 3/8" to get good pressure? Whats a good pump to use? also whats an airtrap/ how to build one?

6. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

7. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

just split the hose right before it goes into the wbs.....if u get a nice 300gph+ pump u wont really have to worry about flow and pressure....eheims are good so are danners.....ur going for a compact case right? then u really wont have room for an air trap

8. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

I'll agree with Haddy about using a Y-splitter. To use your CPU to heat your GPU seams pointless, though I have seen plenty who have done it.

Keep the tubing the same size. The only place you need a high velocity of water is in the blocks and their design will ensure this. Also remember, if you shrink the pipe size you create back pressure, which will impact upon the pump (aquatic pumps are crap at coping with back pressure) and your flow rate will go down.

9. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I thought the general consensus is that water has enough cooling properties to work in serial? And that the problem with using a Y splitter is pressure changes and uneven water distribution? I'm getting 42c max on my setup now (dual), but i don't trust the onboard temps :( Wish i knew for sure..

10. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

The answer, in my little opinion, is "a possible maybe". Who knows film that answer comes from.

You can run in serial with no problems, it's just that parallel with a good pump is better. GPU chipsets are meant to hammer waterflow more than Y-splitters, but with a desent pump, that can be addressed. Having the coldest water possible on all of your water blocks is always the best idea, if you have the room etc to achieve it.

11. JONQUICK

JONQUICK What's a Dremel?

I agree

I think that is a great idea

12. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

comp u nurse right next to the core.......nuff said....

13. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

<----- Lazy :D

Tags: