1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooling liquid?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Linkitch, 25 Apr 2007.

1. Linkitch

Linkitch What's a Dremel?

I have been using distilled water with added fluorescent liquid added for several years now in my water cooling system. I've now begun wondering if I could get any added cooling performance by changing to another liquid instead.

2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

ethelyne glycol is really the only other liquid that makes sense, if you care to go that far.

3. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

And all that does is have a higher boiling point. It won't give you any lower temps,. In fact, it's thicker viscosity will likely result in higher temps. What you are currently using is about as good as it gets.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Water is pretty much the best liquid to use, there are so many properties which lend themselves to cooling things, most of the other liquids with better thermal properties are either poisonous, or just generally hazardous.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As Krikkit says, water has the best thermal properties. The function of additives is not to improve cooling performance, but to prevent corrosion and bacterial/algae growth. They actually reduce cooling performance slightly, but that is an acceptable trade-off.

There is no better "magic liquid". All the special mixes you see on the market are purely sold on their non-conductivity (in terms of preventing short-circuits in the case of leaks) and non-corrosivity.

6. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

Yep as Nexxo and the other say water is king, there is only one other liquid that has better themal conductivity that is "widely" available and that is Mercury. Problem is of corse it is highly toxic an not ROHS compatable, and there is the whole pumping it problem.... Plus its highly conductive and likes to react with a bunch of other materials to form even deadlier flavors of its self.

You see there is a trade off of sorts those things which conduct heat very well also tend to be those things which conduct electricity very well.

Last edited: 4 May 2007
Tags: