1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CORE22 - Some beta testing observations

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Shirty, 15 Dec 2019.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I have been quietly testing the project using CORE22 in beta for the past few days, and I think if the results are in any way indicative of how the core will perform when it is released, I think we can draw the following conclusions:

1. Mid-range Nvidia RTX and high-end GTX cards look to be getting a really healthy boost.
    2. Navi card owners who have been waiting patiently to fold may well be disappointed.
    3. It's too early to tell how well the very big beasts will work, as the only project currently being assigned is a relatively low atom count.

From early reports, the RX 5700XT looks to be getting around 750K ppd in the project compared to the following averaged results I've collated:

GTX 1080Ti - 1.49M ppd (mmm hmm!)
    RTX 2060 - 1.11M ppd
    RTX 2070 - 1.32M ppd
    RTX 2070 Super - 1.72M ppd (oh baby!)
    RTX 2080 Ti - 2.4M ppd

I'm sure a bigger atom count project will see the 2080 Ti nudging 3.5M as the GPU utilisation is close to 100% and the big core count cards love complex projects.

The future of GPU folding is looking to get a huge boost soon, good times. It's just a shame that a crappy project (14310) is also in beta, and I keep getting these assigned across all cards so have had to switch off the beta flag as it was bringing my ppd down to an uncomfortable low.

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I assume the 'quietly' bit means that you are not actually part of the beta testing team?
    If you had any issues with the WUs, I'm sure they would appreciate the feedback.

3. Shirty

Absolutely, though I haven't had any issues as yet. What's the correct way to request official beta membership?

4. DocJonz

I have thought about joining the beta team in the past - maybe when I retire I'll have more time (but from what I hear about retirement, probably not!)
    This will be your first port of call if you are interested: Beta testing

5. Shirty

Ta, I'll take a look. I'm just not sure I can commit in the long term.

How are you enjoying your first RTX card?

6. DocJonz

Well spotted!
    Seems to be going well - it is just a standard RTX 2070.
    I have replaced two GTX 970's in one of the machines - which do about 3k PPD at 140W TDP each - with the one RTX card - which does about 11k at 175W TDP - so, saving about 100W, and roughly doubling the points ... without breaking the bank!
    That's my type of win-win :happy:

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Shirty

It's a good folding card, mine trades blows with (and on average beats) my watercooled 1080Ti, and I picked it up from an eBay business seller for £230 with 12 months warranty. I think it was a brand new warranty replacement from MSI as it came in a sealed but plain MSI box.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

How on earth did you pull that off. You got a link?

9. Shirty

I'm afraid it was a one-off sale back in the summer, from a non-tech focused seller. If they'd had multiple at that price I'd have bought them all! I'd have been happy with a 2060 at that price.