1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals corrupt micro SD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by guysy1110, 1 Apr 2011.

1. guysy1110

guysy1110 What's a Dremel?

I have a micro SD card from my phone, im just experimenting really, it was working, the phone was reset to factory settings and the card never worked after from what i can remember, will not recognise, so cannot be formatted,

Obviously being so small the chances of it being ever revived are slim to none?

I was just thinking of doing anything, heating it, freezing it, just out of interest to get it working?

Any programs? seeing as it will not even recognise i dont think its possible?

Prove me wrong please, im just interested, im all for learning.

Thanks.

2. guysy1110

Anyone got any programs i can try?

Its not even showing up as anything.

3. cwx

cwx What's a Dremel?

Run > diskmgmt.msc
    Does it show up at all?

Try this tool as well: http://www.killdisk.com/
    There's a free version on that site. Use it to completely wipe it using the bootable version. Of course, if it really doesn't show up at all (but you've confirmed your USB ports are working by testing with a USB stick or other device ) then it sounds like your card is toast.

Freezing or heating or physically stressing the card won't help.

4. guysy1110

Nope doesn't show up, when it loads the storage devices it freezes untill i take the card out,

If i right click the drive (hidden because its not recognising anything in the slot) it freezes my computer.

I saw a explanation when googling to try putting the card in the drive, and changing the drive name (J) to (G)? don't know why... after some faffing my computer showed the drive up but not clickable it froze again.

Tried HP format tool, said there is no media in the drive...

SD port is working perfect, if i put another card it straight away it shows up, also trying a micro sd in the same adapter works perfect..

Just trying to revive it, any help appreciated, just interested in the process and would be a good achievement to get it working again.

I cant understand how its just fried it was working perfectly then just dead... suppose it can happen like that though?

5. cwx

cwx What's a Dremel?

The drive should NOT freeze even if there's nothing in it. The problem sounds like the card itself (if it also didn't work in your phone) . Try running the Killdisk as I mentioned on BOOT, not through Windows and let me know how it goes (or if even Killdisk doesn't see it on boot.. just make sure you don't wipe your OS drive!)

6. guysy1110

Tried killdisk on boot, the card didnt show up, cant think of many things else to try

I was reading the other day about something like the controller card, could be that gone

Any other options?

7. cwx

cwx What's a Dremel?

Sounds like your card is toast to be honest. If it doesn't work in ANY device (card reader OR camera in this case) and you can't see it on boot, its fried. Not sure if that's a recoverable situation (I've never had any luck in such attempts).

8. guysy1110

Anyone, fried?

Thats what im thinking currently.