I just got a shipment in at work with 1000 feet of various cables and over 100 connectors as well. Since the last time I used my helping hands was at work and I couldn't find them this morning, I decided to make a jig so that I could work a lot easier and quicker. I used two bits of scrap wood (that already had nails sticking out of them!). In the bottom piece, I drilled a 1/2" hole which is the perfect size to hold male and female XLR connector innards. On the vertical bit I stuck a nail into the side for holding my solder and I nailed two strips of velcro on the top so I could strap my cables in quickly. Here are both ends of a cable ready to get tinned! And look how easy that looks And of course the most important feature, being able to get all three wires to sit in place without a delicate balancing act. All in all, I am very happy with how productive this made me today, and that it took all of 5 minutes to make with materials I had on hand.