1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Couple of SSD questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 4 Apr 2021.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Do I need to over provision anymore or do I just make I leave enough empty space on the drive.

I've just installed my new mobo, ram and cpu and before my M2 1TB SSD was used as my games drive but is now my windows drive.

Is it okay to partition it so all my games ect will be on a much larger partition on the same drive without causing any performance issues. In my mind I don't see an issue but getting it confirmed is good.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Over provision isn't nneded as much as drives have dedicated cache and cell death is much rarer. Personally I'd just make it one big partition, much less faff that way!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

From other threads, it seems SSD would either die of sudden failure or obsolescence. Flash endurance isn't really an issue for us. My old M4 128GB is still going string as a download drive on a Pi. So it should be okay to use all of it.

Partitioning is also absolutely fine. The drive controller will allocate flash writes evenly so you won't wear out a certain section due to partitioning.

I personally have a C partition and a Others partition for everything else. So if I need to reinstall Windows, the other stuff survive the re-install.