1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU and GPU on 1 loop or 2 loops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Necrow, 8 Sep 2010.

1. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

I have the following components currently cooling my Q6600;
    X2O 750 Dual Bay Reservoir Pump 12V
    2 x 120 Rad
    XSPC Acetal Delta V3 CPU Waterblock
    back to Reservoir.

I am waiting on a PNY GTX470 to arrive and have been looking at a loop to cool this.
    I was wondering if the following configuration in a single loop will work?

Current loop)
    Dual Bay Res/Pump->2 x 120 Rad ->CPU Block->Dual Bay Res/Pump

[​IMG]

Possible Loop)
    Dual Bay Res and Pump -> 2 x 120 Rad -> CPU Block -> 1 x 120 Rad -> GPU Block -> back to Dual Bay Res and Pump.

[​IMG]

1st question - how do I know apart from trial and error if the 12V pump will be strong enough - it is rated at 750 lph @ 1.8m head, is there enough power in it?

2nd Question - Is this a good idea to make the loop this way or should I consider having a seperate loop for the GPU cooling?

Loop 1)
    Dual bay Res/Pump->2 x 120 Rad->CPU->Res/Pump

Loop 2)
    Single bay Res/Pump->1 x 120 Rad->GPU->Res/Pump

All advise will be appreciated or experience please share.
    Thanks.

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I doubt you'd see much of a performance boost from a more powerful pump, never mind two loops. If you had various motherboard blocks in the loop too and were planning to add a 3 x 120mm rad then you might benefit from a Laing DDC or a D5 but you're only adding a small rad and a GPU block.

3. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

One loop should be good for that. I run one loop and my temps are just fine. Your rad is thin though but should still be okay for the task as you're adding another one.

Also one loop will give you a much cleaner look overall, can I ask why you don't just put a triple in the roof as it'll fit just fine?

In my folding rig (or as I tell the other half a htpc that HAS to be on all the time lol) I use an xspc rx120, xspc res + pump combo and a gtx470. Temps are fairly good at around 45c with a gentle typhoon. Therefore making me assume if you're adding a 120 rad to your loop it should be enough to cool the 470. And 1 loop would mean the heat is shared between the rads and not just 1 120 rad.

Andrew.

4. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

I was looking at the triple rad as well for the top but was a little concerned about running warm(ish) output water straight from the CPU to the GPU, so I was going to pass it through the 1x120 rad first to cool it somebit.

I agree it will be a lot cleaner alright, ok that's it decided then.
    Upgrade the roof rad to a 3x120, add a 1x120 for additional GPU cooling, keep single loop.

Thanks for the advice guys.

5. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Generally dual loops don't matter unless you have a lot of blocks. Like 4-5+ blocks. For 2-3 blocks a D5 pump can still move water so fast that there is hardly any difference in water temperature, it all becomes averaged.

Even with a 1-2 degrees different in temperature, it might not justify getting a whole new pump, radiator, and reservior for a separate loop.