1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bren2, 28 Mar 2003.

1. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

atm i have a v7 on my 1800+ i get around 48-50 C depending how hot it is (cpu temp) and 43-45 C case temp

anyway im very limited on money so i want to know where it is worth buying an adapter from 80 to 120mm FAN for my V7 and how much difference it will make.
    ive been told that increasing the pressure would decrease the temp... makes sense
    another thing is that my 80mm FAN on the V7 is quite loud... and getting a 120mm fan will decrease the sound considerably...

v7 FAN - 53 CFM at 5000rpm @ 39 dB
    Evercool 120mm Fan - 84.75 CFM at 2200rpm @ 32 dB

how much difference would there be? how much temp drop do u think?

oh this is the adapter
    [​IMG]

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Wrong forum.....I never had much luck with those adaptors....Didnt see much of a temp drop but the noise decreased a lil...

3. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

I'd spend the money on a better sink, one made for 80MM fans.

I tried taking off the stock 60MM fan and putting on an 80MM fan of a higher airflow, it was a dismal failure. The temps went up, not down. :( So I say a better heatsink is the way to go.

4. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

so buy a new HSF?
    which one would you recommend?

5. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

Dans Data has a big review of coollers available in Australia at
    http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p2.htm
    Either go for an 80mm with copper base and aluminium fins, for about £10-15 (don't know A$ equivalent), or get a high performance Swiftech, Thermalright, Alpha or similar for about £40.
    Remember to use a thin layer of good thermal paste. You could just try reseating your current cooler with new paste, as it does break down over time.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2003
  6. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

If what you say in your initial post is correct, that your case temperature is around 45 degrees then I think perhaps you would be better investing first in some case cooling such as an 80mm fan blowing air out and another such fan sucking air in at the front of the case if it will fit.

Lowering the temperature of the air inside the case (which case cooling does) will have a resultant effect in also lowering your cpu temperature as well as that of other components such as graphics cards and hard drivers.

:)

7. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

i agree with will, looks like you're getting really good cooling out of that heatsink, your temp is almost the same as the ambient case temp, lower the case temp, cpu temp'll follow suit. a new one wont help, cuz it's still blowing 45 degree air onto the heatsink

8. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

Are you sure that 45 is the case temp and not the MB temp, they are confused sometimes. What's your room temp?

If your room is a reasonable temperature try taking the side of the case off and run it that way. My OCed 1600+ runs at 45C - 50C (25C - 30C above ambient) with a Volcano 7.

If you decide to buy a new sink, the Swiftech MCX-462+, the SLK-900U, and the Pal 8942 are the best three.

Just to clear something up, by V7 you mean the TT Volcano 7.

9. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

apart from being on the heavy side, the V7 seems to do a good job of cooling.

my OC'd 2100 Tbred is running at 33(15 above ambient room) dont know about my case temp, doubt it's much higher than my room tho, i have 3 fans moving air through the thing.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

as will said, there is not much point spending £30+ on a decent heatsink if your case temperatures are extortionate... lower the case temps first and then lower your CPU temps futher. :)

11. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

thnx for the help ppl
    urmm my air flow:
    in: 2x92mm Just Cooler Fans on the side and 1x80mm Antec front
    out: 1x80mm Just cooler fan back 1x80mm blowhole and PSU

yes i mean a Tt Volcano 7

although my room is the hottest in my house and it was summer a while ago... and when i took those temps it was rather hot
    right now its cooler and i am getting 44-45 CPU and 40-41 case

main reason i dont want to get more air cooling is because it would be pointless taking 35-40 C temp air into my case cause its so hot...
    although i am adding another blowhole sometime in the near future...

again thnx for ya help :)

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

lol I didn't see your location, no wonder your case temps are high! :eeek:

Try and get the room temperature air to stay at room temp when its inside your case and you'll be onto a winner :cooldude:

13. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

is there a cheap way i can get the inflow of air cooler?
    hrmm maybe set up an air conditioner inside :brrr:
    any ideas?
    i dont really wanna water cool my cpu just want to get it down as low as i can really ... cheaply :)

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

12 inch desk fan mod? :eyebrow:

15. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

intersting and where can i puchase this mod from...
    lol i think ill get a new hsf and then ill prb draw some plans for an air con :p

i suppose thatll work fine
    which is best the Swiftech MCX-462+, the SLK-900U, and the Pal 8942 or Tt Volcano 9?

16. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

alrite so heres the deal now
    im sticking with the Volcano 7 as my HS but im thinking of buying a Tt smart fan 2 and replace the fan on the Volcano 7.. how much would it decrease y temps by?
    im thinking only a few degrees...
    then i am goin to use the volcano 7 fan (Tt smart fan) as a blow hole
    so how much will my temps drop?