1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding CPU Fan Control worries

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SanguineRaven, 25 Jun 2004.

1. SanguineRaven

SanguineRaven What's a Dremel?

Ok well I'm pretty much a newbie in modding.
    I've got a rheostat-based fan controller working in a spare 3 1/2" slot. I power it with a 5 pin molex (for LEDs ^_^) and then each of my fans connect to the controller and take power from it.

First problem is that I used to have my cpu fan using power from the motherboard. Now that I connect my cpu fan to the controller, I get the annoying "CPU FAN NOT CONNECTED. SHUTDOWN (Y/N)?" on POST. So far I have been unable to find any BIOS options to disable the check.

Second problem is more just me being paranoid, thinking eep, what if something goes wrong with the controller or w/e and I lose power to the cpu fan, then my cpu will cook.

I guess I could just stick a spare 3 pin cable to the motherboard and it will get rid of the message (havn't tried) but I am thinking maybe I can find a way to bypass that, and have the cpu fan running off the mobo (so it will detect if its working ok) but still changeable by my controller.

My minds gone blank, so any suggestions?

2. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

erm.. first of all there should be an option for this under PC Health in the bios... secondly, you should have the fan controller limited to like 7V

3. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

conect the yellow (sense wire) wire from the CPU fan to the motherboard header. That wire (yellow) send pulses to the motherboard so it know how fast the fan is going.

4. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

in specific, the middle pin ;)

5. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

The yellow sense wire is not in the middle. You should have it connected though. It will get rid of the BIOS warnings.

As far as protection is concerned, the BIOS should have an over-heat option. You should be able to select an option where the mobo shuts itself down if the processor gets above a certain temp.

6. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Something like this.

You can make your own by directing the yellow sensor wire to the tap point on the motherboard where the sensor wire is usally inserted over.

7. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

5 pin molex? :eyebrow: yes as stated above find the sensor pin and attach that to the mobo and your free and clear, if u dont find a overheat or temp shutdown in bios it way be "always on" i have this on my biostar in my secondary rig damned thig is set way to low :duh:

8. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

Yes, that's it chaps. Yellow wire is the signal. Just buy a spare socket shell, pop the yellow out of the original by gently pushing it's locating latch in so you can withdraw the sleeve. Then push it into the same position on the new socket - ensuring its in the same position relative to the two plastic lugs on the socket etc. Push it onto the motherboard pins for the fan.

Although my own BIOS does have an over-heat shut-down facility, the "Hardware Doctor" software supplied by Abit on their CD doesn't half make a racket if the fan speed is too low! *Really* annoying when you've only just got your young child to sleep....!

I also run Motherboard monitor in the back ground so I can keep an active ee on the temps.

:D