SketchUp creating a mesh?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Archtronics, 9 Aug 2010.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Hey

Im trying to create mesh for a design is there a quicker way than drawing numurous little holes.

cheers :)

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Start off by drawing a few holes, then copy and paste. Then copy and paste the result. Do that a few times and you'll have more holes than you know what to do with.

3. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

try the fence mesh material and make it smaller. Thats how I did it and it worked ok.

4. asura

asura jack of all trades

Two easy ways of doing it.

1. Draw one circle/square/polygon of the size you desire push-pull it through the material thickness. Decide on your distances between holes. Move -> Ctrl(copy move) -> "x32"(or however many additional holes you want) -> Enter. Then repeat in the opposite direction.

2. Draw one circle/square/polygon of the size you desire push-pull it through the material thickness. Move -> Ctrl(copy move) -> place it at the extreme edge of your material -> "/32" or however many additional holes you want) -> Enter. Then repeat in the opposite direction.

First method gives you control of the distances between the holes, and you experiment/repeat to get the right number to cover your material, you may overlap your edge with a hole. Second method covers material but usually gives an odd spacing between the holes.

5. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

I guess Sketchup doesn't support alpha mapped materials? That is annoying.

6. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I made a tutorial for this ages ago, links in the sig :)

Also you can achieve a mesh material by using the fencing pre-set and re-scaling it

the fine mesh in the bottom section of this render was done using the "Fencing_Diamond_Mesh" material with a scale of 5.0 x 2.4

[​IMG]

Hope that helps :)