1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Crossfire questions (7850)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoochy, 11 Feb 2013.

1. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I currently have one 7850 in my build as in my sig below, but in light of the anticipated delay if 8 series cards I am interested in buying another 7850 and running a crossfire arrangement.

Firstly, are there any massive problems/issues know running a crossfire setup? I did a bit of research and the bit tech article is dated 2005 I found. Any other internet snippits with issues seem to be from a while ago too. I may be looking in the wrong place though as my google foo is not strong :)

Secondly, would I need to buy a new PSU to accommodate the second card? I have a corsair 650 as below

Thirdly I suppose, do you think it's worth it? I'm really intrigued by different options/solutions etc.... for playing around with so just after some advice.

Cheers :D

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

3. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Thanks for linking to that Harlequin - it's a good read. I'm not totally put off as there seems to be some hope that gaming at 1080p (which I do ) is ok? For example it's highlighted that using 2 cards that when on their own are not running slow seem to not suffer the micro shuttering problem as much. Interesting.

I'm afraid I can't extract the parts easily from the thread as I'm not on the PC at the moment.

I would still be very interested in hearing other people experiences though.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

You would have to measure from wall to see if you need a new psu.

If its above 400watts single card your looking 600+ for crossfire which is borderline long term on that psu.

Would like more headroom if it was me.

Personally I'd look to sell the 7850 and buy a 7970.

Performance is similar without the issues.

hoochy likes this.
  5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

There was a thread a few days ago where somebody had measured the power consumption of his dual GTX480 system IIRC, and it was around 600W.

The system in my sig pulls around 330W from the wall on full load.

I think your 650W unit would be fine. You could get a power meter to be sure though.

6. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Thanks for the reply rollo and mm vr, I might pick up a power meter and give it a test to see if I will have enough headroom.

This thread is interesting - based on tri 7970s

Point taken about selling the 7850 and going for a 7950 but for some reason I seem interested in CF set up! If anyone else is running crossfire setup I would be interested to hear.

7. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Shamless bump just to see if anyone else have any more experience? Or advice.

Cheers

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Current 13.2 Beta 5 drivers have reduced frame times to reduce such micro shuttering in CFX.

(Just took longer for AMD to realize there was a problem, and now that they have been more devoted in tweaking their drivers, they have yielded great results. Better than ATi who would just chuck out rehashes of drivers every month.)

So times have changed for the better. :)

hoochy likes this.
  9. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Thanks TG, I had only updated to throw beta 4 drivers whilst playing Cryais 3 open MP beta, and now that's finished I had not looked at new driver.

It's good to know that AMD are actively looking for solutions. Looks like I just need to figure out if my current PSU will support another card with sufficient headroom and I might take the plunge: )

10. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Right so I bought myself a electricity plug in monitor jobbie as people had suggested.

I have run the monitor with the max watt setting with both Crysis 3 in Multiplayer with most settings on high, 2xsmaa and 16 AA. Addiitonally I ran the new 3DMark benchmark too. Both ran with the rig as per my sig.

Whilst running both individually the result never went over 240.6Watts as below

[​IMG]

Does this seem right? I was suprised how low it seemed! With this in mind and a 650w PSU, do you think I have enough headroom to add another 7850? If I doubled the 240W draw for the whole system (unlikely for the addition of a single card to the system?) this would give circa 500W, so 150W head room.

Let me know if my thinking/ readings seem wrong please! Cheers :D

11. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

You definitely have enough power from that PSU. By the way, what Corsair model is it?

12. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

13. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

14. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Until about 5 mins ago I had no idea what you meant :) but i can now only assume you are refering to the below or similar.

[​IMG]

Do you mean that with another card my PC will be at apx 50% load (in games etc...) which will in turn mean the PSU will be running at circa 80% efficiency?

Thx for help

Last edited: 27 Feb 2013
  15. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Yes, with a second card, your PSU will run with about 50% load, which is where it's most efficient (above 85%).

hoochy likes this.
  16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Sounds about right. Computers don't pull as much as many people think. :) You can reach more than 400W only with dual graphics cards really.

hoochy likes this.
  17. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

18. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Right as I have had such fantastic advice up till now, I tought I would be cheeky and ask for some more!

So, I am about to buy another 7850 as above and in preparation for this I thought I would rearrange some bits of kit to achieve the optiumum space. Essentially this has meant moving the sound ard from the bottom PCI 1x slot to the top, above the current GPU.

As per the photo below, I now propose that I site the second GPU below. This in turn means that there will be about 20mm between the bottom of the top card's housing and the top of the second cards PCB.

In light of this, I assume air flow will be affected! So, what do you advise on the best cooling set up with this in mind?

I currently have 1 intake fan in front of case and 1 exhause in top. Additionally my CPU cooler is push/ pull through the rear.

The case has space for 1 more front fan, 1 side pane fan and 1 floor fan. There is space for another top fan, but unless it is really, really, really thin it wont fit as it will clash with the CPU cooler radiator. Fans are currently 120mm fractual jobbies.

Apologies for the ramble! I would like to order any additional fans with my card.

Cheers :thumb:

[​IMG]

19. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Bump for the morning crowd :worried:

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well you are lucky in that you have decent clearance between your two GPUs. If I were you I'd attach a decent 120mm to the side panel, that way it'll blow air straight into your GPU intakes, and also over the backplates.

Fan wise, its up to you, the Gentle Typhoon 1450s move a shedload of air but there are quieter fans out there.

hoochy likes this.