1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage crucial m4 sometimes wont boot after restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j4mi3, 12 Apr 2012.

1. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

When i reboot my computer (not all the time), when i reboot it more than once in say, 5mins (then it happens often) or when i am overclocking and get bsods (and thus its rebooting) in succession, the drive fails to boot.

the way i resolve it is hold the pwr button down until it powers off, and leave it for about 10 seconds. then its fine.

is it something to do with the controller not the drive itself?

the boot device led shows on my motherboard, and the boot code poster thing gets stuck, unfortunately i wasnt smart enough to record what it got stuck on, but i dont think it matters as its obviously something to do with the hard drive

does anyone know anything about the m4s getting stuck after rebooting more than once?

2. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I did have issues of my m4 not always being seen in the bios, therefore not booting.

Then like yours, after a while and intermittently, it was sometimes seen.

This turned out to be an issue with my ud9s bios and the earlier ssd firmware

The 009 firmware did seem to fix this.

I was clutching at straws and infact rmaed what i thought was faulty ssd, to find with new mobo bios and 0009 firmware, the issue dissapeared.

Ive just posted about the new 000F firmware, maybe this will be worth trying, but personally i dont think theres faults with the ssds, just detection issues with mobo bios also.

However i think it was version 0009 that fixed the detection issues.

Im not sure if this is your exact issue, but will be worth updating anyway?

0002 : Improvement for intermittent failures in cold boot up related to some specific host systems.

3. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

yeah i updated mine to 009 the other week in hope to fix it but it hasnt unfortunately

maybe a mobo bios update will work?

4. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Would seem to point to mobo bios incompatibility then, as i know my issues were fixed after 002 or so.

I do note that your issues seem to be with reset, so warm boot issues, whereas mine were cold boot issues sadly.

I would suspect it wasnt the drive, but found that crucials service was excellent on rmain stuff.

Wouldnt do any harm i suppose to update mobo bios anyway.

Im not going to bother with the newer 000F firmware, as mine is ok, but maybe you might try that?