1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Crucial M4 vs OCZ Vertex 3: New Firmware Face-Off

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Sep 2011.

1. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

The recent news about the Vertex 3 giving too much hassle like SSD dying, gets itself erased and such, are fixed with this firmware?! I've been glancing at C300 256GB from the first review and was sad to know that the M4 substitute wasn't up to the task but now I can see, with the new firmware, it's the way to go so I guess I might wait a little bit to see if the price drops and treat myself to one of those :p

2. Jermboslice

Jermboslice What's a Dremel?

Sweet! I literally just made the order for 2x 128GB M4's last night. Thanks bit-tech, I would have most likely never known.

3. Deckard

Deckard What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the response. I understand the point you’re making – instead, I should have emphasised the importance of warranty because, although no real indication of reliability, it’s somewhat reasonable to assume that if a product comes with a good warranty it will be reliable. I also acknowledge my point about online reviews is somewhat absurd – generally people only leave reviews when they’ve had a negative experience, but then again our experiences and those of others are sometimes all we have to go by when it comes to buying products.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Upgraded from firmware 0002 and now its crippled my drive....if it aint broke........

5. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Very happy with my Intel drive. The toolkit, extra warranty and the little touches for better reliability make the difference. The firmware upgrade was easy and trouble free.
    I'm actually surprised at how little difference an SSD makes to my general usage. I could easily have lived without it, although it would probably be a little annoying to go back.

6. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Pity OCZ firmware 2.11 doesn't entirely fix the bsod issues.. I have one and its bsod'd twice since 2.11

Altho that was shortly after the update, has been ok for about a month. Maybe it settled down? *touch wood*

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

D'oh - a result of confused editing. Fixed!

8. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

Excellent news - that's made my budget a whole lot more comfortable for my upcoming first build - M4 it is!

9. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Looks like I should be updating my newly installed 64GB M4. Bit nervus seeing as that is my OS drive. Hopefully I won't bork it.

10. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Done both of my M4 512s, no problem. If i can do it anyone can :D

Can confirm cold boot fix works perfecto, no booting problems for me anymore.

Speed wise im stuck at 380mbs, limit of my ud9 mobo x58 board, but it still seems nippier.

11. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

What is the best way to benchmark? It'd be nice to have a before and after to compare. I am brand new to SSDs (only has one since Monday) so I doubt I would notice the difference. But I may as well update if it is an improvement.

12. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

This is a pretty impressive benchmark I just took - brand new M4, firmware updated and a secure erase:

[​IMG]

(Performed in Ubuntu 11.10 beta)

Tags: Add Tags