1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

https://cryptodealer.io/blogs/news/altcoin-of-the-month-funfair-fun

Let's hope this isn't just shilling and is accurate. I might top up my funfair a bit more.

I'm still learning with Python and I knew I could bash out the API scraper in PHP in a few minutes. I might work on a Python/Django powered Portfolio tracker but in honesty a spreadsheet with some live data is more than responsive and encompassing enough for me right now, and there's several full tools out there for it already. My main issue with getting into Python is that I need a big project for it and I don't have the time for it.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
  2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was like that before I started working here. My first big project was an efficiency tracker for the exchange in a game that adjusted the price of items based on supply and demand. It also tracked the efficiency of items that would heal using their current price. Once I'd got that working i found doing other stuff such as spamming friends on twitter :lol: easy to quickly do.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

From a technical point the article is right that funfair has a lot of potential for growth in the future, but there is a huge threat to funfair that is being largely ignored, governments.

Even in countries where gambling is legal it is heavily regulated, so far not a single regulatory authority has weighted in on the issue of funfair, so there is a very big unknown factor that is unlikely to be resolved in any direction soon, but has the potential to wreak absolute havoc on the project.

4. Zoon

From 12/01/2018 depending on where the timezone splits, the minimum XLM in a wallet will be 1 instead of 20 so I'll be able to move mine out and do this for passive interest. Yay!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The company has applied for a UK Remote Gambling Software Licence, and is pretty confident it'll be granted - and if so that could be the first to fall in a full-on domino effect. I hope, anyway. I'd make a good rich person.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've finally ventured away from CEX and put a toe in the water for some FUN (yuk yuk) with other altcoins. Not for much, mind you, which again, I may kick myself for.

EDIT: Just had a friend of mine asking about HW wallets to which I suggested Ledger - and he mentioned the crazy lead time and ebay scalping. Turns out my as yet unused Nano S was quite a good investment itself :lol:

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
  7. Zoon

The thing is, with the value of a couple of these burgeoning altcoins that even holding 1000 isn't all that expensive. And you get all the fun of waiting and hoping in the meantime! I put around £275 in this week which is all I really feel comfortable risking so I'll have to wait commensurately longer for an actual return. But buying £10,000 in ETH just before christmas would've net you a 50% profit in three weeks so gotta be considered.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not just scalping: there are some very clever scams doing the rounds at the moment.

My 'favourite:' buy a genuine Ledger Nano S. Take it out of the box, set it up with a PIN of 5555, write down the 24-word seed. Print a little card which says "here is your 24 word seed", covered by a 10p silver scratch-off sticker for legitimacy, along with fake instructions explaining how the device is already configured "for your convenience" and how you should enter 5555 then set your own PIN "for security." Pop back in box, list on FleaBay.

Wait for someone to buy it and load a bunch of coin on it, then use the 24-word seed you kept to steal 'em all. There was a guy on Reddit lost £25K that way, and he's not alone.

For those looking at buying a Ledger Nano S and don't know: the device should arrive unconfigured and tell you what the 24-word seed is when you first switch it on. If you enter an incorrect PIN three times to wipe it and start again, you should get a different 24-word seed. The recovery card is just somewhere to write down said seed for recovery purposes - not a card with a pre-configured seed already printed, whether or not it's covered by a neato silver scratch-off sticker.

Clever stuff. Immoral, but clever.

B1GBUD likes this.
  9. Mister_Tad

Yeah, this.
    I have 2800 FUN now - not something I'd bother with for incremental gains, but watching if it shoots to the moon will be kind of like waiting and watching for lottery numbers. Appropriate, given their USP.

You've got to hand it to them, great idea. I can imagine with the bandwagoning at the moment there are all too many people blindly clicking through and skim reading warnings. Both sides deserve what they get IMO.

10. Zoon

Blimey. VEN has almost doubled today, sitting at 74%+ right now. I was umming and aaahing over getting a bit but I really wanted to concentrate on the sub-1.00 area.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im out kids.

Enjoy your cryptos.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Is there a reason? You're in the area so to speak so I'm guessing you know something? :p

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Bought in at $0.20, sold at $3+...

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Oh I see, a certain coin you mean? I assumed you meant in general, as though you were more heavily invested and were withdrawing for complicated economics reasons :p

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nah I'm just taking my cash out of all of it in general. I've made enough to feel like I've taken part in the 'boom', and i'm just going to stick most of it back into bonds & traditional investments.

..or buy a really nobby car

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

This, kids, is a sensible man. If I'd done the same when it started levelling off after the December high I'd have nearly twice as much money as I have now.

Guest-23315 and MLyons like this.
  17. Mister_Tad

But speculating is so entertaining! Beats the roulette tables.
    I think there's a point in the near future when I'll cash out to the tune of 80-90%, but leave behind a smattering of altcoins to forget about for a while.

18. Gareth Halfacree

I've already taken out five times my original investment, but the rest has risen high enough that it dwarfs that and Feels Bad Man when it drops a by a third of its value in the space of an hour.

19. Mister_Tad

Yeah - there is a twinge of that here, but remember for now it's only real money once it's in your bank account.
    You haven't lost anything, you're up 400%.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Logically, I know that, but you try telling that to my lizard brain!

In happier-making news, Ripple's on a recovery run - it's up 22% and still rising. Which, considering the bulk of my portfolio's in Ripple, is good. Long may it continue.

EDIT: And down to a 13% gain in the time it took me to write that. C'mon, Ripple, you can do it!