News Crytek UK developing Homefront 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

It will be sick...

3. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

anything is going be better than homefront. Poor graphics, characters dialog so B movie its untrue, 2001 style 'you cant run past the characters' so that you have to wait for them to finish saying their cheesy BS lines, and a tacky, hacker ridden online multiplayer. Great.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I played this and was turned off the MP side after the cheater's destroyed as the comment above say's as well, and I also agree with the comment's above with regard's to graphic's etc.

My brother in law was watching me play it 1st and decided not to buy the game after it showed a man and women lined up and shot infront of there kid, and then the kid tries to wake them up whilst crying.
    He said that is was sick and twisted and should not be in a game regardless of what age rating it was given, and I have to agree while I know it's a game but that was just shockingly bad.

If this is being made by Crytek then maybe the graphic's will be better and the anti cheat system, but I don't think they can pull it back from where it went in some people's mind's but they can atleast give it a try.

The MP side if they keep it the same will probably be good and more than likely better than the Call Of Duty games in my mind as I did enjoy it till, I started being shot by cheat's.

5. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Err.. what about TimeSplitters 4?

6. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

So does this mean that they halted production on TimeSplitters 4 to make a game that nobody gives a **** about? Seriously, did Homefront even sell enough copies to warrant a sequel? ****ing games industry.

7. chittes

chittes What's a Dremel?

Believe it or not Homefront sold well... certainly 1 million, possibly 2m copies now (I think 2.5m were shipped anyway). THQ marketed it very well, and made some money there - some copious amounts of which was probably waved in front of Crytek's nose to get them on board, I'd imagine.... and the promise that "imagine how much it'll sell if the sequel's actually really good"....

8. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

The first one had some great, dare I say brilliant, little narrative and exposition touches that weren't expected. John Milius is certainly a better writer than most of coders posing as scribes in the gaming industry. A guy in a tactical vest bottling passata is something that was a pleasant, unusual touch. The tension beneath your Korean-American sidekick and the white Americans was also nice and believable - it's something other writers wouldn't have thought of.

Plus, there was an awesome Deus Ex reference.

9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I really, really disliked the first game, I liked the setting (or, at least, the idea of the setting) but the gameplay was very sub-par (I can't even move fridges...seriously) the characters where bland (I AM SWEARY AMERICAN, i am sassy yet sensitive woman) and the plot was entirely predictable.

Having said all that, I thought the opening couple of minutes where excellent, although a bit more back story on your character would be nice, maybe a HL2 style section where you just wander around stuff as normal for a while.

10. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

Homefront had a good story but was piss poor in execution, it felt older than frontlines and no where near the standards we are getting with the likes of Crysis, COD and BF. It didn't even feel as good as the newer Operation Flashpoints in fairness. Here's hoping that Crytek UK can improve on it.

11. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

So much hatred for Homefront. The single player I had no time for; forced cut scenes, forced areas where you did nothing but follow a NPC around whilst they jabber on about something I didn't care about. Game developers need to stop trying to be film producers and concentrated on what a game should be about. (eg. I want to play it, not watch it).

I thought Multiplayer was very good, in fact I believe the new COD is using similar scoring system to Homefront. Where doing the objectives will unlock rewards rather than just kills. This for me is one of my personal issues with COD; COD only awards kills (in terms of kill-streaks) it doesn't award team play or people who do objectives,

Sadly cheaters exist in all games and if the developers / publisher don't stamp on them it kills the game dead. I suppose after selling the game they have your money and thus have no reason to do this. Hell it might even improve the sale of the next game using "improved anti-cheating" as a reason for people to buy it. :|

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

High detail, tessellated fridges ahoy!

13. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Yeah Homefront was a disappointment, I'll looking at the reviews more closely before I buy Homefront 2 regardless of the engine or developer.

14. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I'm not holding my breath, but perhaps Crytek will manage to put out a single player game worth playing.....

The basis for the first game was great, the execution, not so much

15. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Will pick it up if it's cheap on the STEAM XMas sale!

Its guna be a million time better than COD and that is on a really old engine but ppl don't complain about that!! WHY??

16. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I played it, it wasn't that bad, the plot was innane but the set pieces were well done. Got kind of repetitive after awhile. And it did feel more on-rails than most scripted FPS' that it's emulating.

I could imagine a different studio doing the level design right and having it be a very good game.

17. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

You seriously need to learn how to use apostrophes and English in general.

Seriously. Typos are fair enough, but you can't blame this on typos.

*waits for "I'm dyslexic" or other convenient "excuse"*

18. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I'm just glad we have a game being made by a UK based developer. Keep up the good work Crytek!

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Was there any need for that rant?

20. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Yeah it's a forum, not an exam .

Besides, at least he can never be accused of leaving one out. :naughty:

Tags: Add Tags