Modding Custom Case: Input/Ideas?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SoSilencer, 3 Dec 2002.

1. SoSilencer

SoSilencer What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's a newer version. In the second image you can see I've made the back corner 'tower' a lot larger. I've also added a second 'tower' in the reservoir by the angle corner of the case. The back tower will have the radiator pointing out the back plus some neon lights or something. The center tower will be for HD's.

I'll make some sort of HD cage that can slide up into the tower from the bottom, or slide down into the bottom compartment of the case so I have access to the drives. To cool the drives I'll probably have two 120mm fans blowing up into the tower from below. I'm not planning on any true intake or output fans in the case though. Since the case is sealed I should be able to direct proper airflow with just some internal fans and external vents. I was planning on intake holes around the bottom front door of the case and possible bottom side door as well (I haven't decided exactly where the doors will be yet). The output holes will be the radiator, power supply, and the entire back of the top compartment.

There are two main issues I need to decide and then I can finalize the case design and start construction. First, I can't decide if I want to keep the drive bays hidden behind a door or external. If they are hidden it will look cooler, but I'll have to take off the front door to access the drives which could be annoying sometimes. The main issue I have though is how to handle multiple peices of plastic in regards to the window tint.

The tint will go on the inside surface of the case. There are some places where I need to glue/attach other parts to the exterior walls of the case though. If I put them directly together than the tint must wrap around this interior part and it will break up the outside appearance of the case. If I put the tint on first and then the other interior peices the exterior surface remains consistant and very sleek looking, but how do I attach the two peices of plastic together since there is now a layer of tint between them? This is the biggest holdup right now and I can't really continue until I decide how I want to do this, but luckily once I do there isn't really anything else I need to do. Anyone have any ideas?

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Make a seperate door for the CD-RWs and such.

If you are starting from scratch, use USB 2.0 CD-Burner and DVD then re-locate them below your monitor.