1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Custom control unit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Rocket_Knight64, 22 Jan 2011.

1. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Is it feasible to scratch build or cobble together a control unit for lights, motors and maybe fans?

I've been thinking about a scratch build for a while and then a came across this Alienware case and decided that I needed to re-purpose it's gimmick for my own:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs/2010/01/01/alienware-aurora-alx-pc-review/1

So far I've not seen the bits that make it tick or an empty case available separately. Is there anything else that's similar? Maybe a modified Aquaero?

I've got big ideas in mind such as similar stuff to the turn on sequence on the razor tron kit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-CFOaNtN64

Could I potentially make it via Arduino? Where do I start or am I bighting off more then a n00b can chew?

2. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

It is possible to make a control panel but what do you want the lights and motors to do?

Last edited: 23 Jan 2011
  3. THP Dan

THP Dan What's a Dremel?

Arduino is one option or you could use Picaxe.

I have a case fully planned out that uses Picaxe to control the whole thing (lights, Servos, touch buttons ect) Just need the time and money to start it.

Picaxe uses a basic form of coding and controls so you could use pre made codes (allot of them about) and link them up to create what you need.
    eg:
    One to sense the temperature of the case -> a servo controller to open the vents

Edit:
    http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe113.pdf
    thats a code and circuit that could be used. It will read the temp and switch the output at what point you set it to. Alot of the circuit isnt needed (it used a LED and sounder to alert you when its too hot) the Chip can drive a servo directly so none of the transistor side is needed.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2011
  4. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Thanks THP Dan, I'll look into Picaxe.

Ideally I'd like the motors to open and close vents to various angles and maybe at different speeds.

Also maybe 2 RGB LED strips running down the edges of the case that could have patterns cycled through. It's all very formative right now until I know what I can get away with.

5. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

i'd use a pic (18 or 24 series) or an arduino based system. the arduino has more pwm-able pins which would suit you better if you are using alot of servos or maybe want to dim your leds. if you use stepper motors you free up some of the pwm-pins but you lose "regular" pins as the stepper motors (if you don't use an external driver) can require up to 8 pins (a whole port on the pic) depending on the resolution you want.
    if you want to set all of this manually (loses the "wow" factor, you could simply use a 555 timer with a pot to manually set the degree which the servos should be set to, or to dim the leds strips).

in other words, more info from you = more info from us :p

but definately a micrprocessor will "solve your issues".