1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom lasertag guns: paint help?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dylAndroid, 13 Aug 2008.

1. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

Next month I'll be building some lasertag guns from scratch. I'm using milestag pcbs and firmware, for those curious, that I got from here: http://www.lasertagparts.com/mtdesign.htm

There's a lot of really fun design problems to work out, and I need your expert advice on one in particular: how to get paint on the guns that won't get wrecked when people grab them, push through bushes, toss them atop concrete walls before pulling themselves up. And get them to survive up to mild rain, and all that "Oh god no, my paint job!" kind of stuff.

It would also be great if it felt like metal to the touch if possible.

I know paint jobs need primer, spraypaint, and a bunch of sanding. Is there some kind of thing, maybe called "finish" or something, that can be used to protect the equipment? I'll probably be using a combination of aluminum, pvc, wood, and random scraps of other material, and though some of it I'd love to leave unpainted, I imagine I'll still want to put some kind of protective coat on it, to protect from the weathering.

Any advice? Thanks!