1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding custom stand

Discussion in 'Modding' started by windwakerfan, 4 Jun 2006.

1. windwakerfan

windwakerfan Banned

can someone please tell me how to make my own custom case stand! If anyone knows how, thanks are appeicated

2. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

What kind of stand? Do want something that looks classic, contemporary, modern? Do you have a material in mind? A general shape? Anything?

3. windwakerfan

windwakerfan Banned

I hope to be made out of plexi, but i,m afarid it won't support the case. I also want it to be curved.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

How about getting the actual supports made out of steel of something then filling the spaces with plexi

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Draw a picture.

6. windwakerfan

windwakerfan Banned

I drew this picture of the design I want
    [​IMG]
    the stand is at the bottom of the case

7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Oh, so like a riser that makes the case off the ground, like some of those old servers had? You could build a steel underframe and put plexi in slanted and pretty, because plexi alone won't take the weight.

8. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

am I looking at it wrong? it looks like you just want a rectangular base? or is the rounded slanted side supposed to be the base. at any rate with such a large footprint plexi in compression won't have a problem. it's when you start flexing it that you get issues

9. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

another idea would be to steal some ideas from audio guys on this one and make a base with a couple of large 8" dia or so pvc running up to the pc mount. however to make it nice and sturdy and reduce vibration a trick the audio guys are using is to fill the pvc with fine sand. it increases the weight but pretty much eliminates any vibs you will get. Plus it is pretty easy and cheap and you can make it look cool as well. you wouldn't have to use large dia pvc you could do it about however you wanted then pait it once you got it together.

10. windwakerfan

windwakerfan Banned

if I built a steel underframe then that means I would need one of those benders. also if I go with this then what the thickness of the steel would be. Also where do I get this PVC?

11. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

12. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

You woulsnt have to bend the steal, alu, whatever you make. You can simply attach it with some right angle brackets.
    This is really not that complicated a subject if i understand it right.. Just a box that your computer would sit on right?
    It wouldnt even need a top or a bottm i would guess.

13. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

i'd use a couple slices of 6 inch diameter pvc pipe to support the case then just have the plexi as a sort of skirt around it. Thats a cheap and strong solution.

edit: you can even use clear pvc pipe if you want it to look extra cool