1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling custom water temp probe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brandonvb, 5 Jul 2004.

1. brandonvb

brandonvb What's a Dremel?

Hi, im new to the forum, i was wondering if it would be possible to make a water temp probe.

like this
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-tub-47.html

but, just by cutting a hole in the side of the hose, and inserting the temp probe from my case (antec p160) then covering it with silicon or something to waterseal it.

can anyone think of a reason this wont work?

2. The Bart Man

The Bart Man What's a Dremel?

Nope. Should work because most temp sensors are water proof!
    Post a pic if it works!

3. brandonvb

brandonvb What's a Dremel?

i really wanted to do it with this case, the p160, cause it has the dual temp sensor in the front, that switches, i was gonna do one before the cpu, and one after, so i could tell the temp difference it was takin away

4. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

You can do that actualy. If you take a dual heade barb thats meant for joining tubes and glue the probe ontop the barb then slide the tubes in it should work +/- 1c. But the barb has to be made of a decentlyu conductive material. bronze barbs are comon but you may find a coper 1.

5. Risky

Risky Modder

Surely the best way is a T-Connector with the probe going in to the odd end and then sealed up with whatever?

6. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

yup, Risky, thats exactly what I would say.

7. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

you dont wanna cut a whole in a tube and then seal it up. heat and movement make the tubes flex and expand. just use a T style connector and insert the probe so that it dangles down into the water. then fill the third leg (teehee) of the T connector with epoxy, hot glue, silicon, or whatevver is strong and water proof.

8. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

why not just have the temp probe in the res? wouldnt that work (obviously misleading if yur config means water goes to cpu, then rad, then res)

alternatively, like someone said i think, put the temp probe up the barb directly into the water flow.. then its sealed when the tube is fitted over

9. Yumadil

Yumadil What's a Dremel?

wouldnt you get the most out of it if you did 2 temp sensors, one infront of the block(s) and one behind, then you can see how much the water is heated from the blocks and see how effective your radiator is?

10. Goldfish

Goldfish What's a Dremel?

Correct you need some sort of joiner to branch it off so you can put the temp probe into the flow without making a hole in the plastic tubing (which would not stay watertight for long)

Think fractional distillation tower in a chemistry lab. You have a T-block at the top to insert the thermometer while the gas goes down into the condenser. That way you can seal up the other part of the T-block with no chance of leakage, and simply have the wire going through the seal.

Tags: