1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU CX400 with HD 6950 -- feasible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qualalol, 24 Aug 2011.

1. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU to an HD 6950, but am still slightly unsure of whether or not my PSU is up to the job. My current setup (or the main components) is:
    -MB: MSI 770-C45
    -CPU: Athlon II X2 250
    -HD: 2x WD Caviar Blue 500 GB
    -PSU: Corsiar CX400
    -GPU: HD 4550

What I'm uncertain about is whether or not the same PSU will be able to support an HD 6950 in place of the HD 4550? (The CX400 only has one PCI power connector, but I can easily get an adapter for the second one.) I've been measuring the power consumption of the computer today -- and have had an average of 125W with peak of 133W (i.e. power going into the PSU from the wall-socket). The power use of the 6950 is quoted as 200W, i.e. a total of 350W (+a bit of inefficiency), so I should be within the power limits of the PSU (and I've also read that the CX400 is quite well built and should be reliable to even higher power than quoted). Would I be right in this assumption, does anyone have any experiences to the contrary / better advice?

In case you're interested: I'm likely to be (radically) upgrading the computer further in a years time, but I've managed to find a very competitively priced 6950 (with the constant exchange rate changes some electronics have strangely cheap prices in Switzerland) and am thinking of trying some bitcoin mining (which would pay off the price of the card after half a year -- with electricity use factored in), meaning it would make sense to get one of those now. I don't actually do much 3d work at the moment, but from next summer I'm likely to be doing some 3d game/simulator development, for which I'd need a more powerful card.