1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Dabsvalue 4 port Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gandi69, 26 Feb 2004.

1. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

Last night my router seemed to die :( Its a PTI PAE-CE84. After I had forwarded some ports on my router for Ut2004, I reset the router and when I came back to check everything was ok, it hadn't booted. The "Ready" light was stuck on, instead of flashing to show that the system was alive. I cant access router setup via ethernet or the usb on the back of the router. Hard resetting it from the switch provided does nothing either. Has anyone else had this problem or overcome it somehow?

2. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

from my experience routers do tend to do things like this now and then. make sure that your are holding the the reset button in for a good 10 seconds - disconnect all the network cables before you try it though.

3. Gandi69

Nah mate, still no luck. I've held it in for a minute or so. The ready light just stays on. :sigh:

4. davism

davism What's a Dremel?

Hi,

My router did the same about a month ago it has still not righted itself I've tried reseting it but like you said it doesn't seem to work. I am as puzzled as you are??? :confused:

5. ChriX

ChriX ^

Maybe it's worth getting a proper router, rather than the cheapest one possible. :thumb:

6. Gandi69

I read ADSLguide.org and they recommended this router, and as it was quite cheap I bought it. However i've replaced it now. It just puzzled me how opening up some ports and then rebooting it would fry everything? (i've noticed the actual connexant modem chip gets very hot now).

7. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I have one of these routers to :) If it goes belly up there is a factory reset switch hidden somewhere press it with a needle. I don't use this router anymore as I have gone wireless. Mind you the new D-Link router is pretty pants as it drops the wireless connection every now and again.

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

The router has software just as your pc does...Its probably just software issues inside the router itself....Probably not worth the hassel of doing anything beyond trying to reset the router...Myabe try to see if theres a "hard" reset ability..

9. Gandi69

I've tried the factory reset switch and still haven't had any luck. I'd say that the version of BSD/VXworks that it runs has corrupted itself. Oh well you live and learn.

10. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

It might be overheating. Try uplugging it for a couple of hours, then go and do all the reset stuff again.

11. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

corupting itself is a real challenge, most micro electronic devices (routers are no exceptions) use the princeton architecture. This means that the program can be held in ROM or EEPROM (if its flash'able), with a seperate EEPROM for configuration data. When you opened a port, its possible a logic error (probably from a combonation of things) occured and incorrect configs were written to the data memory.

These keep been read when the device boots. All the hardware reset does, is just to tell the micro to ignore the EEPROM.

Some devices only bother to clear certain bits (such as local IP config/use DHCP).

Tags: