Cooling Damn stupid shroud

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulW, 22 Aug 2004.

1. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Taken me just under 2 WEEKS to make 1 shroud, well, drill it, cut it, etc...

STILL needs tidying up, sealing, painting, etc... and after this I have ANOTHER I need to make... Really not sure if I can be bothered any more :wallbash:

Top that off, my digicam is also broke & won't turn on :waah: just hope the insurance hasn't run out...

So sorry for the 'poor' quality pics, as there were taken from my joke-of-a-phone (SPV E200)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Main problem I have is I just don't have the tools, or the space to work on things properly :(

I'm not happy today :(

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Not too shabby :) And those pictures are amazing quality if they were taken from a phone....

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Last edited: 22 Aug 2004
  4. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

my h/core is bigger than what the dtek custom shroud fits, so is why i can't use the dtek one.

5. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Looks good! just needs some paint!

Why have you got another one to make? Have you got two rads?

Just so you know (incase you dont already), axial fans work crap when pushing air into a restrictive object, so there really is only point in having one side shrouded.
    If you want to use two fans on a single size rad, double them both up on the sucking side, that will work better and be less effort for you :)

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

make it from cardboard and duct tape, i did :p
    much quicker :D

7. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

:hehe: i did the opriginal template in cardboard, but I want something a bit more 'secure'

using 2 shrouds to do a push-pull config with the fans as i posted aaaages ago & from everyones reaction this was going to be the most efficient way to get the air through.

8. Clarkey

Clarkey What's a Dremel?

lol yes duck tape and cardboard is the best ;) wish i had a camera so i could show you lot my ghetto shroud lol :D

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

lol, use enoguh duct tape and it'll definately be secure enough
    theres still bits of mine stuck to the rad and fan from when i switched fans :worried:
    :p

10. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Heh I used duct tape for mine aswell, but to be fair,I am using two x 200mm rads in series (from the perspective of both the air and water flowing through them - works well when you use a 172mm/50mm fan!)
    Its a bit hard making a shroud for non-perfect objects like my rads. I dont think I could have fit any alu around htem either, they are almost too wide for my case.

Save some effort - dont bother with the second shroud. Adding a pushing fan really does not help temps atall. Both on the same side works best.
    However rads dont restrict air that much anyway.... theres a limit to how much a second fan in series can help.
    Im using two rads in series and a single fan is plenty to suck a LOT of air through it - so the gains from two fans are going to be small anyway.
    If you want two fans have them in parrelell (meaning you need bigger rad) or replace the single fan with one of a higher airflow.

Tags: